The start of a mistake

Eren continued loading the back of the trailer with the last of the wrapped up supplies. He never had liked the idea of sleeping out in the woods where every corner was swarmed with titans and neither was he the only one. The only people to actually be looking forward to this "expedition" were Hanji, Connie and Sasha. Hanji pretty much enjoyed anything if she could be around the titans and Connie and Sasha both grew up in country land.

One before, a little before they adopted Mikasa, Eren and his family had tried staying away from home as a camp out but it had ended in utter disaster and Eren had sworn never to do it again. Armin wasn't particularly keen on it, neither was Mikasa, or pretty much anyone else going. It was too risky.

"Jäger!" Came a sharp voice. "Stop being such a klutz and help suit up these horses like everyone else," Levi was glaring at Eren from the corner of his eye. "Yes sir," Eren replied and hurried off to the rest of his friends. The preparations continued for another so hours because everyone was acting up and being uncoordinated, delaying the trip even more so. Nothing would stay in the trailers and had to be tied down by ropes and Jean took this particular moment to try to annoy Eren. Mikasa went over to stop this and Jean was reduced to a blushing, stammering wreck "But..." he said looking around sheepishly. "But what Kirschtien?" Levi sneered with an icy stare. "N-nothing sir!" Jean saluted and  ran off in terror. The packing had finally ceased at around 2pm when everyone mounted their horses and lined up, Hanji leading the group. "Everybody ready?" She squealed. Everyone else rolled their eyes. "Then open it up!" The gate opened slightly and they all rushed out, still aware of the titans around.

It didn't take much more than an hour for the cadets to start complaining. "Are we there yet?"
"My back aches!"
"Get off of me idiot!"
"When are we going to be there?"
"Quit whining or I'll give you all something to complain about!" Levi snapped. Everyone fell silent for the rest of the journey. They finally reached their site which was nothing but a bleak  area of grass and dirt surrounded by thick forrest and shrubbery. The grass was delicately laced with a light frost, the bark on the trees was damp and cold. Hanji thought it would be a good idea to wait until evening to actually set up camp. She never explained the reason though, so Sasha wanted to know. "Eren, why can't we set up yet?" She asked wondering up to Eren. "Meh, no clue, I'm guessing it's cuz' then we won't get ambushed at night." He replied in a flat tone. "Oh, that makes sense...I guess." And with that, she trudged off to make conversation with Connie.

The sun finally began to set and turned the sky orange. There was a thin fog curling through the trees as everyone started pulling up small tents. There were 5 tents, most had to share as two, accept Hanji and Levi, who both had their own. It took a lot of time to set them up as it was slowly getting colder and colder. People were struggling with the small ropes and thin coverlets. The process wasn't in anyway fun.

Things began to settle down when the sky turned black. Not many stars could be seen but the brightest ones still sparkled. The moon was clouded over, producing an eerie glow. Connie was sleeping under one of the trailers Sasha on the top of it. Jean and Armin has both gone back to their tents and Mikasa was sat at the entrance of her tent and looked up slowly. On the other  trailer was Levi and Eren. They were both lent against each other asleep. Both of them were relaxed, even Levi, who looked almost like a child when he wasn't frowning.

Mikasa stared at them for a while in a state of shock and horror. She scurried back into her tent fumbling in her small bag of belongings with her shaking hands. At the bottom lay her glass bottle of "titan poison." She picked it up and looked over her shoulder at Levi and Eren. Her mouth twitched into a twisted smile.