Chapter 14; One

(A/N:  Listen too Ed Sheeran - One while reading. It helps )

Michael was laying on his bed, snoring lightly. Ashton wiped away threatening tears and looked over the sleeping boy.

“How is everything so easy for you huh?” he laughed and lifted Michael up making him stir slightly before placing him in bed. Michael opened his eyes and smiled softly and scooted over, making a space for Ashton.

“Get in loser. Tell me why you’re crying.” Ashton took off his shoes and lay beside his best friend, facing him. He shrugged but Michael knew better. “I’m your best mate, just tell me.”

“I fuck everything up man.” He sighed honestly running a hand through his hair.

“Shut up.” Michael snapped taking Ashton by surprise. “You’re the greatest person I have ever met. You’ve had a shitty life, you deserve to mess up sometimes.” Ashton started to cry again but Michael soon embraced him. “Ash, you know the whole Lacey thing wasn’t your fault.”

~ 1 Year Ago~

“Ashton, I think i’m just going to head home. I’m not feeling too good.” Ashton pouted to his girlfriend as he hugged her from behind.

“But babe, Michael isn’t even here yet.”

“Just tell him happy birthday for me.” And with that she left

“I Love You.” Ashton shouted to her and she returned a weak smile. Something was wrong but he couldn’t figure out what.

For a few months she acted this way; distant and cold, isolating herself. At first he thought Lacey was pregnant, but after an earful from her, it turned out not to be true. It was Michael’s birthday party and she didn’t even bother to stay 30 minutes.

With the thoughts leaving his mind Michael came bursting through the door.

“OMG SURPRISE PARTY FOR ME? OH MY” Ashton glared at him and punched his arm.

“Who told you?!” Michael laughed and scratched the back of his neck.

“I might have looked at your texts to Calum.” He smiled sheepishly. “I didn’t do so well at acting did I?” The boys laughed and walked to the centre of the room.

“So you are now 17 years old-“

“Em, I think you mean years YOUNG” Michael Interrupted. Ashton rolled his eyes as his phone rung loudly.

It was Lacey.

“Hey beautiful what is it?”

“I’m so sorry”

~present day~

Ashton lay in the bed with Michael thinking back and cringed and shuddered.

“You still think about it?” Michael asked, suddenly sobering up slightly but the alcohol still evident on his breath.

“Of course I do. I love her.” He turned to face the ceiling. “I need to get away from here.” Michael propped himself up using his elbow.

“Right now?”

“No, but when I get enough money. I need to get Harry out of that house. It’s toxic.” Michael nodded and lay back down. “Would you come with us?” Ashton turned to face him examining the expression.

“Why? I couldn’t offer you anything but extra body weight.” He laughed slightly but Ashton turned round to face him.

“You have been with me through everything. You’re one of the reasons I haven’t left yet.” Michael smiled.

“What is the other reason?”

“Rhona.”

Both boys fell into a silence and stared at one another for a long time.

“Do you love her?” Michael spoke up. Ashton questioned it himself even though the answer was obvious.

“I never thought I would fall for someone so quickly.” Michael smiled sadly and wiped the tears from Ashton’s eyes once again.

“Go get her. Tell her how you feel.”

“She left m-“

“So?! She is probably just as confused as you are.” Michael huffed and pushed Ashton out of the bed. “Now go.” Ashton smiled and put on his shoes.

“I love you, man.”

“Just know,” Michael started and sat up, “If she breaks your heart again, she won’t be breathing. You deserve better.” With that, Ashton walked out leaving Michael to lay in bed.

“I really do love you.”