01 || New Year

❝ new year, new me right?       appreciate my damn resolution

appreciate my damn resolution. ❞

JANUARY 5
NEW YEAR'S DASH

jay + reagan

SHE COULDN'T REMEMBER WHEN was the last time she had seen him, but she didn't want to recall it. They were the first New Japan dojo graduates of 2015 and the first two people to travel and get booked by different companies. They spent a year wrestling as a team and jokingly called themselves as Alex Shelley's Adoptive Kids. She didn't have anyone but her dojo family and him. But now she can see him as a person that she can start a chaos with.

Jay stood in the middle of the ring, panting as he was regaining energy after his win against Katsuya Kitamura. He felt good if he was being honest; it was his first victory of 2018 after he was defeated by the Ace. He was known for making statements, telling everyone that they were standing in his ring.

The lights were shut off, the darkness spread around Korakuen Hall. The crowd gasped and their whispers were heard by Jay as if everything's unexpected - it was unexpected based on what he's experiencing. His head snapped up to see the only light: the screen and a video that everyone haven't seen before.

He watched as he tried to figure out who it is or what's going on. It was confusing, Gedo and Jado never talked to him about getting another challenger - if not, he didn't ask about getting another feud. The shadow of the video held burning roses, raising it to reveal who it was. He never cursed repeatedly and silently before, not until she turned out to be the shadow of the darkness.

"Oh my god!" Exclaimed by Kevin Kelly. "I can't believe it!"

"Returning from her knee injury, the first female to become a Young Lion has finally revealed herself as 'The Anthem'." Don spoke.

The crowd cheered for her name along with Billie Joe Armstrong's singing voice through the speakers. He wanted to play with his fingers, he wanted to swear loudly - but he knew he couldn't say a thing because he left her with "I'll see you soon" along with a disappearance that lasted over a year.

He could tell that Reagan is everyone's favourite the moment when he glanced on the audience and when she came out with a smile and a wave as a greeting. He couldn't just ditch and chicken out as she made her way into the ring, giving people high fives as she walked past them. He knew he had to be confident about facing her.

The moment when Reagan's eyes landed on Jay, her smile turned into a smirk as she stepped into the ring. He moved his gaze up and down, telling himself that she's alluring - as always and that this isn't her, she had a short hair that was cut off to fit in with her friends and a jet black hair that she asked him to dye, now her hair grew long and the ends were dyed into silver. She walked up to one of the Young Lions and asked for a microphone, the background music fading away.

Tapping the microphone, the feedback responded. She cleared her throat as looked up at him. She grinned like a Cheshire cat. "Wow," she breathed out. "You can call me dumb but I couldn't believe where the two of us are standing now." He chuckled, shrugging his shoulders. She glanced at the crowd before staring back at him. "There's a lot of things to believe now, isn't it right?"

"Can call it that," He replied although she can only hear it.

"Let's start with the first one, shall we?" She sat down on the mat, her legs crossed. "Seven months ago, I tore my ACL during a street fight for the Ring of Honor tag team championship with you but being the hard-headed that I was, I asked you if we could finish the match - and we did. You know, it's pretty funny when you said that you got my back years ago when we were the young ones because did you really?" She questioned, the grin never left despite the fact that her words were stabbing him. "And six months of my rehab, I kept thinking about what is going to change in 2018 and I can't answer anything. Until the moment when I heard that you came back and challenged Tanahashi."

"I fucking lost, didn't I?" He snarled.

"Calm down," she chuckled. "Now, you gave me an idea. I figured, "Hey, since Jay got into his new phase, I think I should do the same thing.". And no worries Switchblade, you gave me that idea when I've managed to get up by myself. Remember what you told me when we celebrated a new year together? "New year, new me", right? Well you should appreciate my damn resolution because it's meant for you - that's the second thing that you're gonna need to believe."

The interpreter started to translate all the things that she said as he impatiently waited for it to end. He stared at her intently, wishing if he could even build new beginnings out of a problem that he didn't try to solve. As the interpreter finished, he found himself walking up and stood five feet away from Reagan. He grabbed the microphone from her hand, raising it as he responded. "You know, Riggs, you are a very talented woman. I couldn't help but ask these: what is going on and why would you change yourself into this... person. We know that this isn't the real you." They were burning holes because of the stare down that was happening in the ring. "And since you're trying to be hard-headed to me, you're gonna get what you want: a divided attention and a match." He held his arm out to make a deal with her, she looked down at it and shook her head in disapproval.

One of the things never changed was the fact that she didn't shake his hand, she wanted to end things quickly as she grabbed the microphone. "I'd shake your hand," she looked up at him with a smirk. "And before I can even do it, mark my fucking words: I am The damn Anthem, and before we could even finish our business I'll make you sing my name like it's a raging melody and I'll burn you like the damn roses that you once gave me. I'm not good at words but I can make you regret at the end of the day."

She accepted his hand - something that she haven't held for a year. She was used to holding his hand when she needed it, but she didn't know how she felt so numb when she held it after a year when he became the rival of her new side. Although it has been a year, she was still asking herself the same question in a single word:

Why?

Note: Hello! How did the pilot chapter go?

Just a little bit of heads up, Reagan and Jay were friends back when they were Young Lions. And I made it possible to have a female Young Lion so I really do apologize if there's anything wrong with it. I accept constructive criticism, people!

I hope you guys enjoyed reading this!