Chapter 14: Arthur's Birthday Party

Lucille's P.O.V.~

Sometime I wonder if Kai's big mouth was a blessing or a curse to me. Every evening, he would sit next to me under the tree that his mother owns and talks on and on and-

"Lucille, are you listening?" Kai interrupts my thoughts, sounding very annoyed and impatient. "I asked you if you know that Arthur's birthday is coming up."

I clapped my hands together with delight.

"No, I didn't." I replied. "When is his birthday anyways?"

"It's in about three days." Kai replied. "Every year, we celebrate his birthday with a huge party."

"I think you should do something special for him this year," he added slyly. "I think he will love whatever you give him."

"I guess I can make him a gift.." I thought for a moment. "I guess I can craft him something- but I'm not too confident in my crafting skills."

An idea popped into my mind and I snapped my fingers. "A cake!"

"A cake..?" Kai questions me. "What is that?"

"It's quite sweet.." I saw Kai's eyes sparkled with interest with just those three words. "And is almost like bread but with a more softer texture."

"I suppose I can make it," I said. "But I'll need eggs and all the eggs are gone since Arthur-"

"Don't bring up the e-word here," Kai frantically looks around to make sure Arthur isn't there. "We don't want to take risks.."

"Ah- My bad." I said. "I guess I could make something else.."

"Well," Kai said. "You have three days to think of a gift so take your time."

"Why do you care so much about Arthur?" I asked him. "Didn't you dislike him when you were younger? I mean you two did get along quite well at times but it didn't seem like you guys cared for each other."

Kai was silent for a moment, which was quite rare.

"Arthur.. Actually is not bad." Kai said, staring into the sunset. "Since his mom left him at such a young age, he began to developed a strong self-independence and self-defence skills. It is not the strongest but it is quite impressive."

"I understand what you mean by that," I nodded along to his words. "My mom also left me at quite a young age as well."

"I would have to make this party extra special then.." I said and scratched my head. "Maybe a hot pot?"

"Hotpot?" Kai repeated what I said. "What's that?"

"Well," I tried to explain what a hotpot is. "It's where you boil ingredients in a broth over a fire. You kind of throw them in then take them out when they are cooked."

"That sounds cool," Kai said, his mouth drooling. "I can't wait."

"This won't be a huge social gathering though.." I said. "I guess this can be an after party thing."

"How about we plan an outdoor party?" I asked Kai. "I got some ideas of what we can do."

Kai smiles. "Why not? You tell me what we need and I will get them all for you."