2 | ready to mingle

"Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

"Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves." - Lauren Eden.

"So Stefan, you were born in Mystic Falls?" Caroline asks Stefan. She batted her eyelashes and blushed staring at him.

"Mm-Hmm. And moved when I was still young." He answers and Caroline smiles, this is what she wanted; to get to know him better.

"Parents?" Caroline asks, and I look over to Bonnie, and we give each other a look.

"My parents passed away." Stefan purses his lips and I place my hand on his.

"I'm so sorry Stefan. Any siblings?" I ask feeling sorry.

"None that I talk to. I live with my uncle." He says, and everyone at the table give Stefan a sad look.

"What about you Mikayla?" Bonnie asks, and I purse my lips.

"Well, my parents passed as well, when I was just a little girl. Spent my life in foster care and now I live with my new guardian. He adopted me the beginning of the year." I say and take a sip of my Pepsi.

"Aren't you a little too old to be adopted." Caroline scrunches her nose.

"Caroline, she's still in high school." Bonnie barks at her.

"Yeah but usually cute kids get adopted. No offense." Caroline exclaims, and I get taken back.

"Well, I'm glad you finally have a home you can call yours." Stefan gives me a soft smile, and I exchange one back. At the corner of my eye, I see Caroline roll her eyes; she really wanted dibs on Stefan.

"So Stefan, since you're new, then you don't know about the party tomorrow," Caroline says to Stefan, and I furrow my eyebrows since she was just inviting him.

"It's a back to school thing at the falls," Bonnie adds, and I look over to Stefan for his answer.

"Are you going?" Stefan turns over to me and asks.

Before I can open my mouth Bonnie chimes in, "Of course she is." I look over at Bonnie and smile.

We talked for a couple of hours, and I felt like Stefan, and I were being interviewed the whole time. I couldn't blame them though; we were fresh blood. In a town like this, the one thing that is exciting is new people. Stefan insisted on taking me home since we took his car but I refused. Although I appreciate how chivalry isn't dead, I'm more of capable of taking care of myself.

As I walk down the streets of Mystic Falls, my eyebrows furrow as I see fog creep up behind me. I stop in my tracks and look around. I was now surrounded by the fog, and it sent chills down my spine. I start to hear crows hawking, and I do what anyone would do in a creepy situation like this, run.

I ran home and stopped on the porch looking behind me. The fog was slowly fading away, and I didn't hear any crows. I take a minute to breathe after my cardio home.