"HOTEL CEUTA" - Chapter 7

Mira stared up in surprise at the handsome man above her. She dangled perilously over the rift that had split the hotel lobby down the middle, saved only by the stranger's grasp.

Faisal was smiling despite the world falling down around them. His eyes were alight with a distinct spark, the likes of which Mira had never seen.

Mira didn't have a chance to process what was happening. As Faisal squeezed her hand and lifted her out of the chasm, a sharp pain knifed through her head. She cried out in anguish, barely maintaining her hold.

His grip was strong and steady, but the ghost of Faisal gritted his teeth in an effort to mask the pain he shared with her.

Once she was safe, Mira collapsed. The sudden, hellish migraine forced her eyes shut. She clasped her gloved hands over them, trying to shield them from any source of light, no matter how miniscule.

Faisal's ghost flickered in and out of sight. He could feel himself growing weak. The searing pain brought him to his knees. He pitched forward, barely able to catch himself with two outstretched hands.

"You're a beautiful woman," he whispered.

Mira heard the oddly-timed remark, but she was handicapped by the infernal aching that plagued her mind and body. She groaned with pain and rolled over on her side in a fetal position.

Faisal curled up next to her, mirroring her pose. He saw her eyes clamped shut. Her clenched teeth were bared. She kept clutching at her head and gut, unable to relieve either from agony.

The woman wasn't aware that time had stopped - that the debris falling from the ceiling had been suspended in the air.

Mira felt a hand on her forehead. The pain began to subside, washed away by a warmth she'd never felt before. Her dark eyes fluttered open. The handsome man gradually came into focus.

"I'm out of time, mi bonita. Do you know Ryad?"

The woman stared, unable to answer.

"I grow weak," Faisal continued, keeping his hand on her forehead. "I've used the last of my strength to help you. Soon, I will disappear." He gazed at her. "Soon, you will know."

The edges of the man began to glow, an ethereal gold. Features of his face started to fade into light. Mira stared, both entranced and horrified.

"You know Ryad, si?"

Mira swallowed hard. She managed to nod.

Faisal smiled. "I am his brother, Faisal. I have a message for him. For all of you."

He began to shine brighter. Faisal was fading.

Mira's eyes widened. She reached into the light, but her hands felt nothing. Faisal urged to listen, and then spoke - a smooth whisper, equal to the light that should have blinded her.

When Faisal finally drifted into eternity, fading from view and from the world, the pain he had been shielding Mira from returned with such force that she nearly vomited before passing out.

* * *

Jackal and Thermite had been rushing toward the rift just as Mira began her running start to try to jump across to safety.

A giant section of ceiling from the hotel lobby crashed to the marble tile just in front of them. The impact shook the floor beneath their boots. Both men reeled backwards, losing their balance and hitting the sidewalk at the front entrance to the hotel.

"Elena!" Thermite shouted, scrambling to his feet. "Elena! Can you hear me?"

Jackal was up quickly. "Elena!" He ran to the huge mass of debris that clogged the front doors. "Estás bien?"

The men didn't wait for an answer. They both dug in and pushed with all their might, trying to roll the enormous chunk of tiled ceiling that blocked them from passing.

Jackal cursed and ventured a look back to Ash. "Eliza!"

"Got you. Clear the blast area!"

Both men obeyed swiftly. Ash produced her launcher and fired. The breach round struck true, drilling far enough into the heavy obstruction
to do substantial damage.

The explosion echoed down the street, bouncing from building to building. The breach round split the massive chunk of debris down the middle.

Jackal and Thermite didn't hesitate. They sprinted through the ensuing cloud of dust, and could hear the rapid footsteps of their fellow operators coming to their aid.