"EL LEÓN" - Chapter 1

The Djinn and GEO Captain Emilio Vivas both lay dead, their blood soaking the floorboards.

     There was no time for respite.

     Jackal ignored his pounding heart the best he could and stumbled to Mira's side.

     "Elena," he managed, sinking to his knees with a thud. He hastily removed his shirt and pressed it to her wound. "Elena!"

     She stirred slightly, but the woman's eyes had rolled to the back of her head. Her eyelids fluttered weakly.

     "No, no. Stay awake!" Ryad ventured a look at her wound. His spirits lifted when he saw that the bullet had gone into the far right side of her belly, below her ribs and just above her hip.

     It had missed all vital organs - that was the good news. The bad news was, vital organs or not, Elena was in excruciating pain, and she was losing a lot of blood. There was always the danger of an infection. Time was not on Ryad's side.

     Ryad wished Doc was with him.

     The man bit his lip. Fear clawed at his his heart as he gazed upon the woman's face. If she died now, he would never forgive himself.

     Elena's eyes began to close.

     "Elena!" he said called, shaking her gently. "Hey, now. Keep your eyes open. Stay with me."

     She grudgingly obeyed. Mira's dark eyes looked up into his, but they seemed distant, dragged away by an unseen current.

     Panic almost overtook Ryad, but he forced it away. "Sit tight. I'm calling it in. Rainbow is nearby. Blame everything on me."

     Her eyes widened. "N-no."

     "They can help you. You need a hospital. You need-"

     Elena reached up and clutched at Ryad's shoulder. Her grip was still surprisingly strong.

     "No, Ryad."

     "Yes." Her blood was warm on his hands. "I'm not losing you."

     Elena protested, instinctively sitting up. She cried out in pain as fire seared through her stomach.

     Ryad produced his burner phone and quickly dialed the number for Six's emergency line. "I'm not losing you," he repeated.

     Mira hissed through clenched teeth as she sat up again, just far enough to smack the phone from Ryad's grasp before he hit SEND. It went sliding across the floor.

     The man cursed, looking to her with wide eyes. "Elena! You need help! I can't save you!"

     Ryad caught Elena as she fell back, and he eased her to the floor. Her hand reached up around his neck, and she drew him closer. She was saying something, but her words were coming out in gasps.

     "What?" the man asked, tilting his ear toward her mouth.

     "F-Faisal. For Faisal."

     "But you're hurt. Rainbow can-"

     "No," Elena breathed, wincing with further agony.

     "Elena. I-"

     "No!" she repeated. Tears had welled up in them, making her eyes shimmer like the sea at night.

     She whispered something again.

     "What?"

     "Come here."