"TRUE DARK" - Chapter 8

FEBRUARY 22, 2018
CEUTA, SPAIN
Outside Adrian's Safe House

     "Copy, lethal force authorized," Dokkaebi acknowledged. "Moving to engage."

     The others had heard the radio communication between Grace and Taina, and had begun readying their gear. Bolts snapped into place, chambering rounds. Magazines were checked before clicking back into their magwells.

     "Masks on," Zofia announced. "We're going quiet. Check your silencers."

     Everyone obeyed. Vigil placed his ballistic mask over his face and gave the silencer at the end of his submachine gun a final twist. "How do you want to do this?"

     Zofia carefully rested her rifle on the dashboard, aiming beyond the windshield at the unmarked van just two houses ahead. "Don't do anything. Wait for them to make the first move."

     "Let's go now," Ela countered. "We've got 'em in the open."

     "I said wait. We don't know who's in there."

     "Doesn't matter. We hit them with the grzmot, roll in hot and light up that entire van. Ten seconds at most."

     Zofia glared at her sister. "They don't know we're here. Reactive action is better. Nevertheless - grzmot first, like you said."

     Ela rolled her eyes. "Fine."

     Vigil and Dokkaebi glanced at each other. It wasn't easy dealing with the Bosaks and their rivalry, especially on-mission.

     Tension set in as they watched the van lurk in the dark of night.

     "They don't know we're here," whispered Dokkaebi. "Zofia - what if I light up their phones the second they make their move?"

     "You can do that?"

     "One moment." Grace hammered away at the keyboard on her ballistic laptop. "Yup," she announced half a minute later. "Got a fix on their signals. Five phones. It's a full hit squad."

     Zofia nodded. "Well-done."

     Dokkaebi scooped up her rifle. "Assume one or two more are in there without phones, or dead batteries. Precautions."

     Vigil leaned forward from the backseat, watching the van ahead. "Zofia, what about Ryad and Elena?"

     "We need to move in on the house immediately after contact." Zofia squeezed her father's watch lightly in her pocket, an anxious habit she kept hidden from others. "Make it quick. Drop these guys before they get to the house."

     "Heads up," whispered Ela, nudging her sister. "Here we go."

     The doors of the black unmarked van opened. Four men in ski masks, wearing bulletproof vests over casual clothing and armed with assault rifles, hopped out of the vehicle and moved quickly towards the safehouse that Jackal and Mira were staying in. The fifth stayed in the driver's seat and turned on the engine before coasting quietly down the street, staying behind on the heels of his companions.

     "Engaging targets, Pereira. Stand by." Zofia felt the familiar surge of adrenaline in her blood. Her eyes focused on the men ahead. "They're going fast. Grace, drop the driver when we engage."

     "Copy," came Dokkaebi. "Awaiting signal."

     Zofia reached for the driver's side door handle. "On three. Thunder first, then sweep. Leave the point man alive. Understood?"

     Ela nodded. "Ready."

     "Ready," echoed Vigil.

     "One."