Chapter 18

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, for some reason I had trouble writing this one.

Archie's POV
"Matt?!" Veronica gasps. He stands off the couch and I'm ready to knock him out but Ronnie's small frame is blocking me. "Maybe I should've turned a light on" he says smirking. "Or maybe you shouldn't break into our home" I say angrily. "Your home, how sweet. Maybe Veronica wasn't wrong picking you over me. Were you, baby?" He asks looking Veronica up and down. "Don't make me-" I start but Veronica cuts me off. "Are you drunk?" He laughs, clearly drunk, and sits back on the couch. "No I'm not. Just tipsy" he mumbles. Veronica puts her purse on the table and looks at him with soft eyes. I'm filled with anger the second she gives him a look of pity, "you were sober" she says sitting on the table, still too close to him for my comfort. "That was until I lost you and then Natalie. And now you have a new fiancé and Natalie probably calls him dad. I have nothing" he says. He's a pathetic drunk and Ronnie is buying into it. I roll my eyes and look away. "I know I shouldn't have come here I just wanted to apologize" he starts, still slurring his speech "last time I got drunk I hurt you and that was wrong. So I came here to make amends and not hurt you" he says. My blood boils and I look at Veronica who is looking at the ground. "Excuse me?" I ask. "I got drink and kicked her in the stomach. Most guys would've gone for the face but I didn't want anyone to see the bruises" he says, clearly not realizing who he is telling this to. This is all new information to me and I look back at Veronica who has tears in her eyes. "If you want to make it up to me, sign the divorce papers" she says pulling them from her purse. "Fine" he slurs, grabbing the packet of papers from Ronnie's hands. She points to where he needs to sign but the divorce papers are currently the least of my issues. He hurt Veronica. Did it happen more than once? Was their whole relationship abusive? Clearly too drunk to make his own decisions, Matt clicks the pen closed. All of the necessary information was filled out and Veronica was officially divorced. She looks over at me but her look of relief is quickly replaced with a look of disdain. She shakes her head no and puts the papers back in her purse. "Matt we're going to call you an Uber" she says pulling her phone out. I keep steady eye contact with Matt as he looks at the floor, struggling to even hold his head up.

Veronica's POV
Andre puts Matt in his Uber and I can't help but pat myself on the back for taking this chance to get his signature. As I'm walking back to my apartment I realize Archie will be there, ready to pounce with questions about what Matt said. That night that I've spent years trying to forget about. I step into the elevator and I take a deep breath as I go up the floors. The doors open to reveal Archie already standing there waiting for me to get back, not even waiting in our apartment. "What was he talking about" he says out of nowhere. I shake my head "he's drunk. It was nothing" I say, lying again. "I thought we were done lying to each other" he says, still pushing me to talk about it. "Do you not realized what happened? I'm divorced. You and I can move on from this" I say walking past him to our apartment. "Ronnie talk to me" he says grabbing my hand. "There is nothing to talk about Archie, leave it alone" I insist. I walk in the front door and sit down on the couch, leaning forward to untie my shoes. "Nothing to talk about? Veronica he hurt you, on purpose. Were you pregnant when he kicked you?" He asks, still pushing. I lean my head in my hands and take a deep breath. Stay calm. Stay calm I repeat in my head over and over. He sits down on the couch and puts his hand on my back and I jump up. "Do you not understand that this is the very last thing I want to talk about? I'm exhausted I'm going to sleep" I say before storming out and into our bedroom, locking the door behind me.

Archie's POV
She storms out and I hear the bedroom door close and lock. I groan and lie back on the couch. I shouldn't have pushed her to talk about it, when she's ready she will tell me. I stand up and go to our bedroom door and try to open it but it doesn't budge, it's still locked. "Veronica. Please open the door" I plead. I still see light from under the door so I know she's awake, but she isn't answering me. "I know I shouldn't have pushed but I did. I just... I can't take knowing that he hurt you like that and I was living my life not even knowing the pain you were in. And I just want to go back and take away your pain" I say. I stay silent until I hear the door unlock and it cracks open a bit. "You're done asking about it?" She asks while still standing in front of the door. "Yes. And I'm sorry" I say. She steps away from the door and pulls it open more, letting me inside. She closes the door and and goes to get back in bed but I stop her by hugging her. She exhales and rests her head on my shoulder and wraps her arms around my waist. "Lets get some sleep" I say kissing her forehead. She nods and climbs into bed and I follow, lying down next to her. I pull her close to me close my eyes, hoping to wake up to our new beginning.

The ending is kind of cheesy, but it's Varchie so it's okay 😂 Is Matt done with them or will he be back? Will Varchie ever make it to their wedding? Only I know the answers to that, you guys have to wait 😂