seven

"So, you said there was something else I needed to know," said Harry as the three of us were sat in a cafe. "You know, when you called yesterday," 

I looked over at George, who was busy playing games on my phone. 

"When I asked George if he wanted a father in his life, the first thing he said to me was that he didn't want one if he made me upset," I quietly explained to Harry. "The reason I'm telling you that is because we have to be careful around him. He picks up on so much more than we realize, and it broke my heart hearing him say that," 

"Oh," said Harry, awkwardly letting out a cough. He looked down at the boy sitting beside him and smiled weakly at him. "Well, at least he's considerate," 

"Yeah," I agreed. 

"Mum and Gemma are coming to London on Tuesday," said Harry after about half a minute of awkward silence. "I've told them about George, and they're really excited to meet him. I hope that's okay?" 

"Yes, of course," I said. "I'll be working on Tuesday, but I suppose you won't have much trouble having him by yourself?" 

"Doesn't he have preschool during the day?" he asked, and I shook my head. "Why not? Where is he all day when you're at work, then?" 

"He stays with Clara," I said. "And he's not in preschool simply because I can't afford it. We only have one income, and that barely even covers food and rent," 

"I understand," replied Harry. "If you want, I could pay for preschool for him. I mean, I've been absent for the first four years of his life. I haven't paid anything, so it's the least I can do," 

"Thanks," I said, giving Harry a small smile that he returned. 

"How are we going to do it when my Mum and Gemma comes, then?" 

"What'd you mean?"

"I mean; will you be bringing him to my house in the morning, should I pick him up, or...?" he asked. 

"Well, I usually leave at around eight, so I don't know what's more convenient for you? I assume you usually don't get up that early," 

"That's fine," he replied. "I can come over and pick him up a little before eight," 

"Okay, that sounds good," I said. "Will you and George be spending the day at your house?" 

"Most likely, yeah," he said. "Mum's not too fond of the cold, so I assume she'll want to stay inside and play with George," 

"Is Tessa going to be there?" I asked, almost whispering. 

"No, she's not. She's visiting her parents," he replied. "Before I forget to ask, I know George's birthday is coming up, and I was just wondering how you were planning on celebrating it for him?" 

"Oh, sorry, I forgot to tell you, I just realized," I said. "George doesn't know yet, but I am taking him to D-I-S-N-E-Y-L-A-N-D in California. I've been saving up for it since he was a newborn," I explained, spelling out the letters of the word Disneyland instead of saying it, so I wouldn't ruin the surprise for George. 

"Oh," Harry said. 

"I'm sorry I forgot to tell you," I said. "But, I mean, if you were able to get yourself a plane ticket, I'm sure George would be thrilled to have you come with us," 

"Which plane are you taking?" 

"Ours leave on Thursday, the day before his birthday. I wanted him to be able to spend his whole day there," I said and he nodded. 

"I'll see what I can do," he said. 

"Mummy, I'm tired," complained George, putting my phone back on the table. He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hands and yawned. 

"We'll go home soon so you can sleep, alright?" I said and he nodded. I picked up the phone and put it in my back pocket. "So, you'll pick him up before eight on Tuesday?" 

"Yes," replied Harry. "Just send me your address later," 

"I'll do it when I get home," I said and started getting up from my chair. When George saw me standing up, he did so as well. 

"Aren't you coming too, Daddy?" asked George, looking at his father. 

"I have to go back to my own house," explained Harry, giving his son a smile. "But, on Tuesday I'll see you again," 

"I'll miss you," George walked back over to Harry and wrapped his arms around his waist, which was the highest he could reach. 

"I'll miss you too, buddy," replied Harry, crouching down and hugging George back.

-------

not very long, but I couldn't write more without it becoming too much of a filler-chapter

- m i a h.