nineteen

A few weeks later, Harry showed up at my door again. I was home alone at the time, since George was visiting my mum for the day, as she rarely saw him lately. 

It wasn't long after midday that the doorbell rang and I went to open it. I was surprised to see Harry standing there, but not as much as I was confused. 

"Hey," I said, but it came out as more of a question. "George's not home, if you wanted to see him." 

"What did you say to Tessa?" he asked. 

"What d'you mean?" 

"You know what I mean," he replied. "She came over to my house last week and said she regretted what she said and wanted me back. When I asked her what made her change her mind, she said you helped her see it." 

"I only told her that you deserved to be happy and that she maybe could give you a second chance," I said. 

"Did you understand nothing from what I said to you? I don't want Tessa anymore. I want you," 

"What?" I asked with a confused expression covering my face. "You never told me that." 

"I was hoping you understood..." he said. "I didn't want to say anything in front of your new boyfriend... But that's why I came to you that day, Rose. I came to ask you if I had a chance. I came to ask if you still loved me." 

"Harry..." I sighed. "You're making things so complicated." 

"Why is it complicated? Just tell me if you love me or not," he said. 

"It's not that easy," I replied. "Harry, of course I love you. I never stopped. But I can't just leave James..." 

"Why not? Do you love him?" 

"I don't know," I replied. "But he doesn't deserve this. He deserves better than me just leaving him and moving on to you. I won't do that someone. And I don't know if you've realized yet, but that's exactly what you're doing to Tessa right now. How do you think she'll feel if you got a new girlfriend only two weeks after you broke up?" 

Harry didn't speak. He just looked down at the concrete, keeping his hands in his pocket. 

"I'm sorry," he eventually said. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't've come here. Are you still bringing George over on Friday?" 

"Yes," 

Harry gave a quick nod before turning around and leaving. When he was out of sight, I walked back inside and closed the door behind me. 

I walked into the living room, only to see James standing by the sofa. 

"James?" I asked, suddenly feeling my heart beating really fast. "How'd you get in?" 

"I walked through the back door. You told me last week I could use that door since it's closer to the guest parking lot, remember?" he said, earning a nod from me. 

"Did you hear a lot?" I asked, crossing my arms as I was so uncomfortable that I didn't know what to do with them. 

"Heard most of it, yeah," he replied. "Look, I'm not going to talk for a long time. All I ask is that you listen when I say this, okay?" 

"Okay..." 

"Rose, the last week or so I've been building up the courage to tell you something. I love you," he started. "But what's held me back from doing it is because I know you can't return the feeling, because I know you love Harry. And that's okay... Seriously, it is. Yes, I would've loved to be with you, but you and Harry deserve each other. I don't want to be the reason why George's parents aren't on the best of terms. And don't tell you you want me rather than Harry, because we both know that's a lie. I had a great time with you, Rose, and it's a time I'll never forget." 

"I'm sorry..." I sighed. 

"Don't be sorry," he said, giving he a half-smile. "I want you to truly be happy, and that's why I'm doing this. You don't need to worry about me. I'll find someone, too." 

---------

this is really short, but I still hope you like it!! 

- m i a h.