sixteen

Harry and Tessa left the hospital shortly after, as they'd just come home from California and hadn't slept in more than twenty-four hours. 

The following morning, I could take George home with me. When we arrived at the flat, I sent George off to watch telly while I called Clara and told her about what'd happened at the hospital. Afterwards, I went to watch telly with George. 

"You look so much like your dad..." I said, running my hands through his hair. "George, what did you think of your daddy's girlfriend?" 

"She was nice. She said I had cool hair," he replied. 

"Well, I'm glad you like her. Since she's daddy's girlfriend, you'll probably spend some time with her," I said, earning a nod from George. 

Then the doorbell rang. George stayed on the sofa while I made my way to the door, where James was stood on the other side. 

"Well this was a pleasant surprise," I smiled at him. "What are you doing here?" 

"I wanted to see you," he replied. "So can I come in?" 

"Oh, yeah, of course," I said. "A little disclaimer, though. George is home." 

"What? Wasn't he supposed to be at your sister's house?" 

"Well, yes, but she called me last night telling me George broke his wrist, so I brought him home this morning." 

"Oh. Well if you're not ready to introduce him to me yet, then I can leave," he said. 

"No, don't be silly," I said, taking his hand. "Harry brought his girlfriend to meet George yesterday anyways, so."

"If you're sure about it, then I'd love to meet him," James smiled, entering the flat. 

While he took off his shoes and jacket, I walked into the living room. James soon joined us and his eyes flickered between me and George. 

"You can just go and talk to him, if you'd like. I'll go and put on some tea," I said. James nodded as I headed for the kitchen. 

As I was preparing the tea, I heard the voices of both James and George. I couldn't make out exactly what they were saying, but one thing I recognized was George's laughter, which made me smile. 

After tea was ready, I put it on a tray, along with a Capri Sun for George, then carried it into the living room. I walked in on George telling James about how he got his cast, exaggerating, of course. 

"Mummy, can James watch a movie with us?" George asked after he was done telling his story. 

"If he wants to, then yes, he can," I replied. 

"Will you, James?" George turned to James. 

"Of course I will," James replied, smiling at George. "You just pick out whatever movie you want and we will happily watch it with you." 

George hopped down from the sofa and began looking at the DVD's. 

"He's adorable," James said to me. "You did a pretty good job with this kid." 

"Thanks," I replied, smiling. "I can already tell he likes you really well. The only other time he's been this comfortable with a stranger was when he first met his dad, and even then I was surprised how quickly he opened up to him." 

"Well, I'd love to spend more time with George. If you and me are gonna continue spending time together, I suppose it's best for me to build a relationship with him, don't you think?" 

"Yeah," I agreed. "I just don't wanna tell Harry about it yet, though. He doesn't even know that I know you. I got really mad at him for bringing his girlfriend to meet George a while ago, so it won't exactly look good if I do the same thing, you know." 

"Take your time. There's no rush," James smiled. "But remember, if Harry gets mad, remind yourself that you're the one who raised this fella on your own for almost four years. Harry hadn't even properly introduced himself to George, his own son, before bringing his girlfriend into it. Just keep that in mind in case Harry finds out and starts a fight about it." 

"Can we watch Toy Story?" George asked, holding up the Toy Story DVD. 

"If you want to watch it, then we'll watch it," I smiled back at him. 

George smiled and began putting the DVD into the DVD player, or at least tried to. When James and I realized he was struggling with it, James instantly got up from his seat, walked over to the little boy and helped him. He also explained everything he was doing, so George could learn to do it himself. 

James was everything I'd hoped to get from Harry when I first found out I was pregnant. And it got me thinking; what if I'd met James before I met Harry? What if George would've been the son of me and James? 

----------

hope you like this!! 

And also, I would like to thank each and every one of you for all the support you give me. Every time I write, I'm excited to hear what you think of it because YOU GUYS ARE SO AMAZING AND I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! 

- m i a h.