Chapter 5

Patton's POV

I hadn't seen Virgil or Roman all morning, and I was starting to get worried. Usually, Roman was up with the rest of us, but I hadn't heard anything from his room. I walked down the hallway, knocking at Roman's door first.

Silence.

I knocked again, furrowing my brows in confusion.

Once again, I was greeted with silence.

It's unlike him to still be asleep, I thought as I eased the door open gently.

Roman's room was empty.

I began to worry, and I fast-walked to Virgil's door, not bothering to knock as I opened the door.

My eyes widened at the sight.

Roman laid on his side, his arms wrapped around Virgil while Virgil buried his face in the other's chest.

My heart swelled at the sight. I summoned my phone and took a few photos. I sighed contently and closed the door. I walked back into the kitchen to see Logan reading his book quietly.

"What are those two engaging in that they would not come to wish you a pleasant morning?" Logan asked, glancing up at me for only a second.

I smiled and slid him my phone, the picture already open on it.

"Well, this is a new development," he mumbled, slowly nudging my phone back. I watched as his eyes stared blankly at his book, the calculation already beginning to process.

"Let's not embarrass them about it yet," I said and began scrolling through older photos.

"What's going on?" The voice made me jump, and I let out a tiny squeak, turning to see Virgil standing in the hallway.

"Looking at puppies," I replied, showing him the dog photo I had ended upon.

He smiled sleepily. "It's a cute dog."

I walked into the living room, Virgil following after me. Slowly, a devious idea formed in my head. Turning towards him, I asked, "Hey, Virge?"

He didn't look up from his phone. "What's up?" he said.

"You haven't seen Roman yet this morning, have you?"

Virgil looked up and began to say something, but stopped. He held up his index finger to keep me from saying more as he sunk into the floor.

Suddenly alone, I thought about what I'd stumbled into last night with the two of them. Virgil wasn't one for physical contact, and I'd only ever hugged him once: when he'd had a panic attack with me being the nearest one to calm him down. That's probably what happened, I concluded and tried not to dwell on it too much.

Virgil's POV

I felt my cheeks heat up subtly at Patton's question, thinking back to the position I had woken up in. I opened my mouth for an excuse, but a tugging sensation in my gut stopped me. Thank you, Thomas, I thought and held up a finger. I slid into the floor quickly.

Thomas was sitting on his bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. He didn't even glance my way, but he knew I was there. "What happened last night?" he asked.

Oh, dear... I had wanted to avoid any questions about that—from Thomas and the other traits.

He sat up. "Virge?"

I blinked backed to attention and looked at him. "I don't know what you mean," I lied.

He raised his eyebrows, not believing me for a second. "I woke up at, like, 2 AM, and I was super anxious for almost an hour. I couldn't sleep, Virge. Something must have happened."

Guilt ripped through my heart. "I'm sorry, Thomas; I really am." I didn't know what else to say.

"Virgil, I don't kinda care if you're sorry because it's in the past. I just want to make sure that you're okay now."

I sighed, my heart aching hearing how he worried about me. "It was just a rough night," I admitted. "I'm fine now, I promise."

He didn't seem convinced, but, in his defense, I wasn't wholly, either. Eventually, he said, "I'm sorry to hear that."

I waved goodbye and sunk into the floor, popping up in my bedroom to see Roman beginning to stir.

He stared at me for a second, his eyes barely open, before smiling. "Are you feeling better?"

"Am I ever better?" I joked, but he didn't smile. I changed the subject quickly. "It's unlike you to sleep so late." To be honest, I wasn't sure where I intended the conversation to go from there, but I knew I didn't want it focused on me anymore.

"Well, I've been up late with someone watching movies these past few nights." He grinned, swinging his legs over the edge of the bed.

I scoffed. "You make it sound like you didn't enjoy watching Disney with me."

He stood, a subtle smile now playing on his lips. "I did, just so you know—enjoy hanging out with you, I mean." He was usually more eloquent with his words.

I rolled my eyes and began ushering him out. "Go, okay? Patton's been wondering where you are." I tried to close the door, but, before I could, he stopped it, making me realize just how much stronger he was than me.

"Hey, Virge?" he asked, his smile gone.

"Yeah?" I gave up on trying to force the door closed.

Roman smirked, removing his hand. "Good morning."

I shut the door. Letting out a long sigh, I turned and face-planted into my bed.