Chapter One

• Dedicated to Michael

CHAPTER ONE 

Elise climbed out of the van and looked up at the tall narrow house, shielding her eyes with her hand from the glint of the weak winter sun that was reflected back in its long thin windows. She stood for a moment and admired the simple peaceful beauty of the white clapboard house that stood overlooking the ocean. The grey sky stretched endlessly away behind the building and the only noise was that of the waves crashing at the foot of the cliff below.

James got out the driver’s side of the van and walked round to stand next to her. His voice was casual when he said, “What do you think of it, El?”

“It’s not what I expected,” she said, quietly. “It’s bigger than I thought it would be, but I like it.”

“You said you wanted space and light,” he replied, gruffly. “You said you didn’t want to feel hemmed in anymore.”

Elise turned to him and touched his face, tentatively, as if they were nothing more than casual friends. “I like it, James, really I do.”

His grey eyes softened and he reached up to catch her hand but she dropped it from his cheek and stepped back. James frowned and watched her walk round to the back of the transit van.

She opened the doors, biting her lip, nervously. James leaned in next to her and pulled the heaviest box towards him, stifling a groan at the strain he was putting on his back as he picked it up, ignoring her plea for him to let her help him. Elise grabbed the big duffle bag of clothes and hurried on ahead of him to unlock the front door, trying not to show her frustration at his refusal to accept he was not a fit virile young man in his twenties anymore.

She walked into the open plan entrance hall and dining room of the house and dropped the duffle bag on the floor next to the table. “Just leave the box by the foot of the stairs, James,” she told him when he staggered into the house behind her. 

“Good idea, I’ll carry it upstairs later when my back has eased off from that long drive.”

He put the box down and wiped his forehead before stretching for a moment with his hands pressed to the small of his back.

Elise smiled, kindly, taking pity on her husband. “Why don’t you put the water, heating and electric on while I bring the rest of our stuff in?” 

James was in the kitchen, looking pleased with himself, when she came back in with a rucksack on her back and two crates stacked on top of one another. She put the boxes on the counter and smirked at him.

“Tea, sugar and milk are in the top box, make yourself useful and brew us a cup of tea while I get the last few things and lock up the van.”

“I’ve already put the kettle on,” he answered with a grin.

Her mug of tea was on the counter and James was out in the back garden when she had finally emptied the small transit van of their boxes and bags. Now all of it was sitting in a pile at the bottom of the stairs; a rather pitiful pile, if she was honest, considering it represented a lifetime of possessions. She took her mug outside and joined James on the decking, standing sheltered from the rain under a tired looking awning. He lifted his mug and clinked it against hers, gently.

“We should have Champagne, but tea will have to do. Here’s a toast to this new chapter of our life, El,” he said, quietly. “I wish us happiness and good luck in our new home.”

Elise stared out at the choppy ocean and hoped he wouldn’t see the glint of tears that suddenly stung her green eyes. Brightly, she said, “Don’t be silly, James, I’m not looking for something unattainable. I don’t need happiness; peace will do me.”