Chapter Two.

Normani's POV

Mama said ride the bus.

Mama said riding the bus builds character.

Mama said this is going to be a learning experience.

My mama has said a whole lot of shit and I hate every word of it. She already tortured me enough by taking away my car keys and freezing my bank accounts but this whole trip to New Orleans is downright inhumane. I've been trapped in this funky ass bus with some sketchy ass characters for six hours now and I'm on the verge of screaming.

I'd rather fly coach than to take a bus. I tried to take my savings and skip town but my mom locked down the house like it was a damn prison so I couldn't escape.

But even though I'm not back in Houston I'm still gonna find a way to run my operation. I've made good money selling pharmaceuticals to desperate college students and I need to keep that stream of income flowing.

Finally after six hours of torture I'd arrived in Louisiana. I stretched my limbs and held onto the Jansport book bag that was resting in my lap. I had some friends in there and I needed to protect them. I got off of the bus and unloaded my bags from underneath the bus. I looked around and there was no sign of my grandmother. For a minute I thought my parents sent me out here to fend for myself. I sat down on the bench and gave my grandmother a call, it didn't do any good because the service was terrible.

"Excuse me miss, are you Normani Hamilton?"

I looked up at there was a handsome guy standing in front of me. He was tall, muscular, and had some very nice teeth, he has braces, but nice teeth.

"I'm Normani, who are you?" I asked.

He held out his hand, "I'm Nolan Y/L/N, I live across the street from your grandmother. She sent me to get you."

I just smiled and nodded, not a big fan of handshakes, especially with strangers. "Nice to meet you Nolan. Can we get to my grandmother's house please?" I asked.

"Yes I can. Let me load your bags on my truck and we'll be on the way." Nolan said.

"Please be careful with those, those are very expensive Louis Vuitton bags." I said.

"Duly noted." Nolan said.

Nolan picked up my bags and carefully loaded them onto the bed of his truck. He walked around to the passengers side and opened my door. I climbed in and put on my seatbelt. As I was putting on my seatbelt I could hear a low growl coming from the backseat. I slowly turned my head and there was a huge golden retriever back there and it was growling at me.

"Who's dog is that?" I asked.

"That's Skillet." Nolan said.

"You seriously named your dog your Skillet?" I asked.

"Sure did." Nolan said.

I looked back at Skillet and this little mutt showed his teeth Nolan gave him a treat and took off. I just sat in the passengers seat with my arms folded and looked around. This place is so damn country, there's no way that I'm gonna survive here. I need to be back at home where everything is normal and doesn't look like an episode of In The Heat of The Night.

"Your grandmother has been telling all the folks around here that her favorite grandchild is coming home." Nolan said.

"Not surprised." I said.

"Your grandmother is the sweetest lady I've ever meet. Makes a damn good pound cake too." Nolan said.

"That's definitely my grandmother." I said.