Surfing Glossary

Here are all the surfing (and a few skating) terms in Can't Get Enough.  They are listed alphabetically so you can look them up whenever you're confused.  I know I dish out surf lingo without a thought because it's second nature to me :) Hopefully this glossary helps! Please leave a comment if some of these definitions are hard to understand.

A-frame » A wave that breaks in both directions with the highest point, or "peak," in the middle.

air (aerial) » A complex maneuver where a surfer and his board launch off the wave into the air and land back on the same wave.

airbrush » A tool used by an artist to spray colors onto a surfboard.

angling » When a surfer rides across a wave rather than straight towards the beach.

backside » When a surfer rides with his back to the wave.

backwash » Small waves that bounce off the shore and return to the water, usually colliding with larger waves and creating a bumpy ride for a surfer.

bail out » When a surfer ditches his board because he is about to wipeout or get hit by a large wave.

barrel » When the top of a wave curls over into a round tube, allowing just enough room for a surfer to ride entirely encased by water.

blown out » When large gusts of wind make the waves wild, stormy, and not at all good to surf.

bowl » A below-ground empty cement pool for skateboarding.

break » This can be a surf break, which is any beach that has waves for surfers.  This can also describe a green wave that turns into whitewater when the top of the wave curls over and "breaks."

carve » When a surfer makes smooth turns on a wave.

carving 360 » A complex maneuver where a surfer and his board does a complete 360-degree turn while still riding the wave.

caught inside » When a surfer gets stuck between the shore and a lot of whitewater/broken waves.  This makes it extremely hard to paddle through the waves, and they are "caught" inside.  (This totally sucks btw.)

cheater five » When a longboarder hangs five by spreading his legs far apart, keeping most of his weight on his back foot.  This is considered "cheating" because he is not standing completely upright, therefore creating less of a chance that he will wipeout.

choppy » A term to describe water condition; when the water is crumbly and stormy because of wind or crossed-up waves.  This makes it very hard to paddle.  (Think opposite of "smooth seas.")

closeout » When the section of a wave in front of a surfer suddenly breaks, causing the surfer to end his ride prematurely and sometimes wipeout.