Chapter 18: Where Are You Going?

Austin’s POV

”Ally…” I say. She looks at me as she walks down the stairs and into the living room.

“Austin, I heard you all the way in Trish’s room.” Ally says to me. I stand up and face her.

“You did.” I say, more of a statement than a question.

”Why didn’t you tell me that earlier? Why did you yell at me?” She asks. I avoid eye contact. I couldn’t look her in the eye and answer her.

“I don’t know.” I say. She takes my hands in hers and my breath catches in my throat.

“Austin…please be honest with me.” She says on the verge of tears. Trish and Dez leave the room and go into the kitchen.

“Ally, I love you. That’s why I yelled. I didn’t want to lose you again, but the only way to do that was to get angry about it.” I say.

“Okay, but, why Maia? Of all the girls you’ve been with before me, why Maia?” She asks.

“Because I knew she was the one girl you couldn’t stand to see me have had the same relationship we have.” I say. She lets go of my hands. She’s hurt.

“Okay…” Ally’s tears fall and she uses the back of her hand to wipe them away.

“Ally…I love you. Don’t you understand?” I say to her, grabbing her hands in one of mine and wiping her tears with the other.

“Austin, it’s hard to understand when I don’t feel like you love me at all.” She says. Her words sting my heart and I start to tear up.

I kiss her hand, her cheek, her forehead. “But Ally, I do love you. Don’t you see? I love you.”

She pulls away from me and closes her eyes, using the back of her hand to wipe her tears again. I can’t help but see her helpless face and feel my heart crumble. I come closer and wrap her in my arms. She starts to fight it but then gives in and accepts my hug. I smooth the back of her hair. She cries into my shirt.

“I love you, too, Austin.” She says. I smile at her and kiss her forehead passionately. “I’m just afraid that you’ll leave me alone.”

“I’ll never leave you alone, Ally.” I say to her.

*     *     *

That night, we sleep on Trish’s bedroom floor together. I pull her close to my side and she falls asleep with her head on my chest. I feel her breathing and it makes me breathe heavier. She’s beautiful when she’s asleep. In the early morning, I leave Ally a note telling her that I’ll call her later. I leave Trish and Dez a note saying where I was going but not to tell Ally. As soon as I open Trish’s door, Ally wakes up.

“Austin? Where are you going?” She asks, rubbing her eyes and sitting up.

“I have to go do something…I’ll call you later.” I say.

“But…Austin, where are you going? Please tell me.” She pleads. She looked so adorable holding the sheets to her.

“Ally, I’ll be back later. Don’t worry.” I check the clock next to Trish’s bed. 10:30. I’m going to be late. “I’ll be back. I love you.”

“I love you, too.” She says, waving to me. I wave back and close the door.

I call Maia when I get in the car. She answers on the first ring. “Austin…you finally came to your senses.”

“Hey, Maia, I uh…I’m going to take your offer. Where’s the audition?” I say to her, not really caring about the audition too much.

She shrieks and I have to move the phone away from my ear. “That’s great! Meet me at Mini’s and I’ll drive us there.”