Chapter 20: Do I Deserve This?

Ally’s POV

When we arrived at school, Trish and I were escorted out of the car by our wonderful boyfriends. Most people at school loved to have a celebrity go to our school. Of course, some of them even wanted autographs. I liked walking around school, feeling like a superstar already. But, I was still considered an outcast. People still talked behind my back.

My newly gained confidence and thought of beauty made me realize that these people are only seeing what’s on the outside of me. They see the glitz and glamour, they see my boyfriend. I don’t want my last high school label to be the bitch or anything like that. I try my best to be nice to people but they all see it as an act.

“Hey, Austin. It’s the last day of school and I’ve been waiting this entire year to ask you. Will you sign this and take a picture with me?” A girl with wire brimmed glasses walked right up to us before we reached the classroom door. I recognized her. She’s the only freshman girl in my Physics Honors class.

“Sure!” Austin says, taking the notepad and signing a little note for her.

“Hi, Ally, you look pretty. Can I have your autograph and a picture, too?” Another freshman boy from my Physics Honors class asks, coming up right next to the other girl.

“Uhm, sure.” I say with a laugh. I sign his notepad and take a quick picture with him.

“Thank you!” They both say then run off.

“See, Austin? There’s nothing to worry about. You think people are gonna wail on me?” I ask him.

“I guess not.” Austin says with a smile.

But, as all things go, not all people can see the good in others. When we got to our desks, the word Liar was written in red on my desk and my desk only. I started to cry into Austin’s shoulder before he fumed up. He comforted me until the bell rang and everyone was inside.

“Okay, class, let’s…“ Our Art teacher, Mr. Kramer, walked into the bustling class but stopped talking when he saw my puffy, red face and Austin’s pissed-off face.

“Sorry, Mr. Kramer, but I have something to say.” Austin says, still holding me in his arms.

“Okay, Mr. Moon, go ahead.” Mr. Kramer sits back in his seat. Even the teachers give respect to Austin and his friends.

“Thank you, Mr. Kramer. Now, I want to know who did this. Huh? Who’s threatening my girlfriend with this, this…statement that she is a liar?” Austin’s voice was raising by the second and it took all my power to even try to calm him down.

“Austin…” I whispered, tugging at his shirt and looking up at his face. He looks down at me with a look in his eyes that I’ve only seen when he’s beyond serious about something.

“No, Ally…just let me do this.” Austin whispers back, holding me closer than before, if possible. “Seriously, who here has something against Ally? What? Was it not enough to make fun of her and bully her to near death? Was she not good enough to be living such a happy life?”

The classroom grew more silent every minute that passed. I didn’t look at anybody. I wanted to run away from here. I love Austin, but I don’t want him to do this. I know now that my high school label will forever be Liar. Nobody said anything. Mr. Kramer didn’t even stop Austin from taking the entire class period, glaring at every person in that classroom.

*     *     *

My next period was Physics Honors. That was the only class where I was accepted and people liked me. But, that was the only class throughout the day I enjoyed. People smiled at me, asked me if I was okay, wanted more pictures and autographs. They treated me with respect and kindness, and I’m ever so grateful for all the people in that class.