32 - The Shelter

I make my way through the crowds and finally get in. I walk down some tunnel before actually entering the club. I look around me.

How the hell am I supposed to find anyone in this crowded place?

"Excuse me have you seen EXO?" I ask a random guy, hoping he will understand me and that he can hear me through the loud music.

"EXO? Does this look like a South Korean coffeeshop to you?" he responds loudly. At least I understand him.

"EXO. The gang," I say louder. He looks at me surprised. He grabs me by my arm and starts pulling me somewhere. I try to get out of his grip.

"What are you doing? Let go of me!" I say while struggling to pull my arm away from him.

He pulls to me a quieter place.

"What do you know about EXO?" he asks with a very serious tone. I look at him confused.

"I was told to meet them here. What the hell is going on?" I cross my arms.

"They are very dangerous. No one just comes to meet them. No one has even seen their faces before. It's silly to think they have the same name as a worldwide K-Pop group," he says with a quiet voice as if he's scared of someone hearing us.

"Well, I have to meet them. It's personal," I say and pull away.

"Look, you need to be careful. Watch out for any masked guy in there. Gangsters and thugs wear them for secret meet ups or stuff they have to do. Whatever you got yourself into, watch out. They are not to mess with," he warns me. I give him a small smile.

"I am not to be messed with either. At least not anymore," I say. "Thank you for your warning. But I can take care of myself."

I turn around and go back inside. The music is so loud and there are people everywhere. They could be anywhere.

There are many masked people here. I might not even recognize them. The man also said no one's ever seen their faces before.

EXO never seemed that dangerous. What have they done to scare people here in Shanghai?

•••

"What do you mean she's gone?!" Zeung throws a vase at the wall, breaking it into pieces.

"We were by her door all night sir. When her maid went in to check if she needs anything, she told us she wasn't there. We checked the whole hospital. She was nowhere to be seen," one of Zeung's men say and apologize.

Kris lets out a sigh.

"Seems like everyone is useless," he mutters. Zeung looks at him.

"Where the hell were you?" Zeung asks him. "You said you'd keep an eye on her!"

"Are you blaming me for your men's lack of skill to watch over a simple girl?!" Kris defends himself.

"You are going to find her! I don't care if you'll have to check every single door in the entire Shanghai. Heck, the entire China for all I care! You will find her and bring her to me!" Zeung yells at the man.

"Yes, sir. Also, one more thing, sir. They found this in a room near hers," the man gives a bag to him. Zeung takes it and looks inside.

"Her clothes. She must have worn something else as a disguise. She probably left right in front of your eyes, you fools! Leave and don't come back until you find her!" Zeung says and throws the bag on the floor.

Kris looks at the bag silently. Disguise ...? he thinks to himself.

•••

After searching and waiting for God knows how long, I take a break. I sit at the bar.