36 - Checkmate

The party has begun and it is already filled with people. Aria looks around trying to spot a certain person. She keeps glancing at the entrance while welcoming and talking with guests.

Finally, she spots Baekhyun entering together with Zoe. Aria can't help it but roll her eyes. Of course she is here too, she thinks and walks to them. She smiles instantly, when she sees Baekhyun dressed like she wanted him to. Perfect, she thinks.

"Mr. Byun, welcome. I see you brought someone," Aria smiles and shakes both their hands. "I'm Aria Jackson. We had an encounter, but it's nice to officially meet you."

Zoe smiles back and nods.

"Zoe Richards, Baekhyun's partner. It's nice to meet you too," Zoe says. "It's a lovely party."

"I'm glad you like it. Have a nice evening," Aria answers and walks off. They both thank her before she goes.

Baekhyun chuckles a little. My jealous cute girlfriend, he thinks and smiles.

"What a woman, huh?" Zoe says and he nods.

"She is quite strong. Independent," Baekhyun answers.

•••

I grab a glass of wine while I'm walking around checking to see if everything is going well. I can't help but keep glancing at Baekhyun. He is talking with some people with Zoe by his side and laughing.

Just as I'm about to go to him, I feel someone tap on my shoulder. I turn around and see Brandon.

"You look wonderful tonight," he says with a smile.

"Thank you, Brandon. You look nice as well," I smile a little. For a moment he does not say anything and I take it as a sign as the conversation is over. I turn around and start walking but he grabs my arm.

"Aria," he says. I notice Baekhyun watching. I look at him.

"Yes?" I answer a bit impatiently.

"I need to talk to you as soon as possible," Brandon says and I frown.

"Can't it wait? I'm hosting a party," I answer and try to pull my arm away, but he tightens his grip. I see Baekhyun at the corner of my eye watching us and I bite my lip.

"Let go of my arm, Brandon. You're hurting me," I say quietly. He lets go.

"I'm sorry. But this is really important. You need to listen to what I have to say. It's for Baekhyun," he says and my eyes widen a little.

"What about him?" I ask, concern filling my eyes instantly. I see a hint of anger in his eyes. He pulls me upstairs to a random guest room.

"I have an offer for you," he says. "Sit down."

I sit on the bed and look at him. "What is this about?"

"You're going to make a very important decision right now. It will affect Baekhyun either way. But do you want him to suffer for life or suffer for a short while only?" Brandon says. I look at him, confused. What is he talking about?

"Brandon, please. Just tell me what's going on," I say, my eyes reflect my fear. I bite my lip.

He pulls out a small black box. I furrow my eyebrows.

"This," he holds out the box for me to see it, "is my proposal ring for you. I'm going to propose to you. We will get married. If you say yes, I won't stick my nose in any of that man's business anymore. I'll let him work with us and maybe even offer him great deals, if he's good of course. I will not tell anyone anything. However, if you say no and tell Baekhyun or anyone about this, I will not only tell your father about Baekhyun. I will eliminate him from the business and I'm going to get him arrested for theft and kidnapping. I'm going to ruin his life. Including that stupid gang of his. It's entirely your choice, of course."