37 - Till death do us apart

"Dinner is ready!" Suho shouts loudly for EXO to hear. Everyone comes and sits by the table, except for Baekhyun.

"Okay, this is getting weird. I think we should check on him. Now," Chanyeol says and stands up.

"I mean ... you probably know him best, so why not?" Lay answers. They all nod.

Chanyeol knocks on Baekhyun's door. "Baek ...?"

No answer. He sighs. "I'm coming in now."

Chanyeol opens the door and sees Baekhyun sitting on the floor, leaned against his bed. Chanyeol sits in front of him. Baekhyun is sitting with his knees pulled up and his elbows resting on top. His gaze is on the floor, lost in his thoughts.

"Baek ... what happened?" Chanyeol asks quietly. Baekhyun doesn't respond immediately. He is not quite sure how to answer in the first place. Finally he speaks up:

"I lost her," he whispers.

Chanyeol looks at him with a surprised look on his face. "What do you mean you lost her? What happened?"

"We talked today," Baekhyun says quietly, not trusting his own voice. He explains what happened at the cafe. "And now I figured out why that happened."

Baekhyun throws a newspaper in front of him. Chanyeol takes it and reads the huge headline:

BRANDON JONES AND ARIA JACKSON ARE OFFICIALLY ENGAGED

"What the heck ..." Chanyeol mumbles in shock. "This makes no sense, Baekhyun. There's no way Aria wants to marry that guy."

"She practically told me herself, Chanyeol. She probably wanted me to hear it from her first. I'm such an idiot. I was here planning for our future as ... as if we actually had a ... a chance," Baekhyun says and feels his voice break.

"Baek ..." Chanyeol looks at him sadly. Baekhyun takes a deep breath.

"I want to be alone. I'm not hungry," he says and Chanyeol nods a little and stands up.

Chanyeol leaves the room and closes the door after him. He goes to the dining table and they all look at him. He slowly sits down.

"We heard ..." Luhan says.

"How could this happen?" Xiumin asks.

"Guys, we don't know what happened in Aria's life," Lay says.

"So much for their passionate dangerous love," Kris says and they all shoot him a glare.

"Shut up, Kris," Tao answers.

"I don't believe it," Sehun says all of sudden.

"What's there not to believe, though? We had no contact with Aria for three years. For three years, Aria thought Baekhyun was dead. She has obviously lived on. What can we do? Shit happened and shit always happens," Kai says with a shrug.

"But she still loved Baekhyun. Baekhyun kept a close eye on her. She almost caught him once at the mall. When she saw him in Shanghai we all saw how much she has missed him all these years," Chen responds.

"You can miss something but not want it back ..." D.O says quietly and they all look at him.

"..."

"Dude," Kris mumbles. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, man, this conversation went from a chill discussion to depressing stuff real quick," Tao says.

"Shut up, I'm just saying how people can feel," D.O glares at them.

"Yeah ... he's right," Kai defends and Kris gives him a are-you-serious look.

"Two minutes ago you were agreeing with us and now just because our D.O spoke up you switched sides, huh?" Kris teases and laughs.