34 - The world stopped spinning

It has been one week since I came back home. Everything seems to have fallen to place. After reassuring everyone that I'm fine, I finally started working in my office again.

Mia is the only person I've told about Baekhyun to. It was time for her to know anyway. But she is fully aware that it's all in the past now.

Right? It's over. We tried and it didn't work out. I just need to move on. It can't be that hard. It just wasn't meant to be.

"Miss Aria?" my secretary calls and I look up. "Mr. Brandon wants to see you."

"Let him in," I sigh. What does he want? I just finally came back.

Brandon walks in and sits down in front of my desk.

"Hey. How are you doing?" He asks.

"Fine," I reply while typing in my computer, not bothering to look at him. "What do you want?"

I hear him let out a sigh.

"Why is it that you always act so cold to me, Aria?" he suddenly asks.

"You're not special, Brandon. I'm like this to everyone," I mumble while keeping my eyes on my screen as I type away.

"Were you also like this to that guy?" Brandon asks and I instantly stop typing. I don't look at him. I slowly start typing again.

"What guy?" I answer quietly.

As soon as I move my hands away from my computer to grab a file, Brandon closes my computer. I look at him with an annoyed look.

"You know what guy, Aria. I didn't want to put pressure on you because you just came home, safe. I wanted you to get some rest. But I've been quite patient and I'm no closer to understanding any of it," Brandon says with a determined look on his face.

"It's none of your business!" I cross my arms. "You're not my boyfriend. I don't owe you any explanation about anything. We may have known each other for a very long time, but that doesn't give you the right to disturb me every time I try to work."

"Aria, I'm just looking out for you. You know I care about you. We've both become older and more mature. Together. Think about it," he responds.

I frown. " What exactly are you suggesting?"

"We both come from wealthy families and we're both helping with running succesful family businesses. Everyone around us think we're the perfect couple. I know you rejected me years ago. But why can't we give it a shot?" Brandon says. I stare at him in shock. I realize where he's getting at and immediately shake my head.

"No ... I can't. I'm not going to date someone I don't love, Brandon. Do you think I care about how other people see us? I'm sorry if you still have any kind of feelings for me or if I have misled you, but I have tried to make my feelings for you quite clear," I say and slowly open my laptop but he pushes the screen down.

"You haven't given us a chance, Aria. I know I've been interfering in your life constantly. Look, just think about it. According to you, there's no other man in your life anyway, right? I'd do anything for you," Brandon places his hand on mine. I pull my hand away.

"Brandon, you don't get it. I don't–"

"You don't have to answer now. Okay? Just think about it," he cuts me off and leaves before I can say anything else.

I sigh deeply. I run my hands through my hair. What has my life come to?

My phone ringtone pulls me away from my thoughts. It's Dad. He came back as fast as he could after my return.