Chapter 7 "Rival Trainer Battles"

Yasashi and Mizu locked their eyes as the television monitor shows the two Pokémon and their health bars increase to max. “Go Sentret!” Mizu yells as her Pokémon rushes onto the stage. Yasashi looks at his Pokémon in confidence and yells, “Go Eevee!” The Pokémon rushes onto the stage and the battle finally begins.

      Music from the orchestra plays in the background as the battle starts. Yasashi began to contemplate a strategy to tackle the battle, and figures one out. “Eevee, use Tail Whip to lower its defence!” he says. “Got it.” it replies. The Pokémon moves swiftly across the huge stage and brushes its tail against the opposing Pokémon. It tries to swat the Eevee away and it returns back to its side.

      Mizu realised his strategy of creating an advantage and tries to make the first blow. “Sentret! Use Scratch!” Mizu orders. Using its tail, it leaps in the air toward its opponent and makes direct contact with its little claws on the Eevee.

      Yasashi looks at the monitor to see that the attack took off about a fifth of its health. He began to feel nervous about the situation but decided to make his move. “Eevee, use Tackle!” The Pokémon quickly dashes toward the Sentret and slams into the Pokémon. An announcer in the background in heard talking into his microphone commentating on the battle. “Critical hit!” he yells. The attack took more than half of the Sentret’s health and Mizu began to lose morale in the battle. Am I going to lose this battle? No! I’m not finished yet! “Sentret, use Scratch again!” she yells without any strategy. It runs toward the other Pokémon only to miss its attack and the Eevee counters with another Tackle to close the match.

      The Sentret is sent flying toward Mizu and she catches it in her arms. She falls on the floor for doing so but she is more worried about her Pokémon. It looked up at her with its saddened eyes. “You did great out there.” she says as she cradles it in her arms.

      Yasashi walks to her and hands out his arm. She shakes his hand after getting up and looks at the Eevee in disbelief. “You have a pretty strong Pokémon, Yasashi. I can’t believe it myself, but a loss is a loss.” She looks at the bow on its left ear and smiles. Yasashi looks at the Sentret as it tries to move up but to no avail. Yasashi asks Mizu if he could hold her Pokémon for a minute and she hands it to him, though very puzzled. He remembers that his DNA contained information from every known Pokémon in existence and tries to use this to help the Pokémon he holds in his hands.

      What was that move called that helps heal wounds? Does it work on others or...? Let’s try, Recover! Suddenly, a wave of light is flowing out of his hands to the Sentret and it begins to feel better. It jumps off of his hands and moves around bursting with energy. Mizu and the crowd stare in disbelief and Mizu asks, “How on earth did you do that?” Yasashi shrugs and replies that it’s a secret. Mizu opens her mouth as to persist, but stops. She looks at her Sentret that is dancing around and smiles.

      The monitor is flashing with the image of Yasashi and his Eevee as the winners and cheering can be heard from audience. Prof. Oak walks toward the two to congratulate them and turns toward the large crowd still cheering. “Well, there you have it! The first battle ends with Yasashi Ikiru being the winner of our first match!” he says as the audience continue to cheer loudly. Oak goes to Yasashi’s Pokémon and heals it with a potion and an ether and returns to the front of the stage. Yasashi and Mizu return to their squares to await for the next match. “Now for the next battle! Let’s see if Sei-Shun can dethrone Yasashi in the next match as the top trainer of the three so far!” Sei-Shun’s square suddenly switches with Mizu’s and then he and Yasashi are facing each other.

      “You ready?” Sei-Shun calls out from the opposite side. “Of course! Let’s start this battle!” Yasashi replies. The monitor now shows Yasashi and Sei-Shun with their respective Pokémon and the match begins.