Chapter 6: That secret someone

I was still kind of shaken up after what had happened in English. It had been a coincidence, after all, that me and Mark had been picked for Romeo and Juliet. A pure coincidence. But a coincidence that had still made me blush like fudge. I do have to accept I was feeling butterflies not only in my stomach but all over my body, and I can still remember the spark in his eyes as he recited that line. It was as though he had memorized it for this precise moment.

But that wasn't the deal now. I had find out who had sent me that text. It made no sense that someone could care so much about my personal problems that they would take the risk of video recording the whole conversation. If I could just know who that person was, this whole Sam-Anthony business could end in a snap of fingers. That person would be the key to unravelling Samanatha.

I walked out of the classroom with the rest of the roaring crowd as my thoughts flew away with their steps. I needed to get out of here, and I know I was supposed to meet the person after school, but I couldn't wait. At least I was allowed to look for some clues.

I stepped out into the fresh air, as a cold spring breeze hit my face. Chilly, it was. Not the best weather to meet the person who could be the key to your existence. Too dramatic?

I looked for a bench where I could sit, and since I had no real friends left after all the messy business, I felt like a dork. Alone. No friends. I really was alone. And on top of that I couldn't dare to face Mark after what had happened in the English. What would he think of me? Would he think I was flirting with him for the benefit of making Anthony jealous? Not that I wanted to make him jealous, but still, I didn't like what Samantha had up her sleeve.

Pulling out my lunch, I let out a sigh, as if that way, all the stress that was building up in me could escape me. But of course and certainly that didn't work. I started drifting of into my thoughts, once again. I flash backed to that scene in the hallway. How could I've been so stupid?! Samantha hadn't acted like that just because, she was trying her best to protect her plan.

I couldn't help the tears from rolling down my eyes. Just to think about all the good things I had experienced with her, all the sleepovers and the scary movies we had watched together and all the ice cream gallons we had gulped down, it all felt so fake and hollow. To think, just to consider the fact that all that had been two years to get to Anthony just made me sick. What kind of person did that?! I had been stabbed by the back, and I hadn't even considered, hadn't even seen it coming. I felt so dumb.

Automatically, I pulled out my lunch and started eating without thinking. I could taste nothing. I was that stiff and stunned. I dried the tears off my cheeks, and before I knew what was going on, Mark had already slid to the seat opposite of mine. He looked happy and self-satisfied.

"Hey, what's up Avril, nice English lesson, don't you think?" a big smile stretched from ear to ear. I noticed some blush on his high cheek bones.

I awkwardly looked down at my sandwich. It suddenly looked very interesting. Yeah, I mean that ham, so rosy and beautiful...

Mark interrupted my stupid thoughts. "Avril, is everything all right?" suddenly his turned up expression faded to a frown of worry.

Should I respond? I mean, I now have to accept I like him, but my gut tells I'm not ready, I can't, I could hurt him, I can't, I ....

My brain disobeyed me.

"Look Mark, it's nothing much it's just that ever since I lost Anthony and Samantha, a lot of things have changed in my life. I'm just getting used to it" he seemed to buy that response. I was safe.

Well, at least I thought I was.

"Avril, can I just talk to you, in private?" he asked in a monotone, without revealing any standout emotions. Great.

He took me by the arm, and walked me over to the back gate of the school. Nobody came here during break, so it was deathly quiet and lonely.

"Look, Avril, I felt something click in English. I never thought I would feel it again after two years since that thing with Andy, but now I do and I can't help but let it overwhelm me. These emotions, these things I feel inside aren't normal teenage feelings. And I need to let them out..." my head started to ring because I was so nervous of what he could possibly say. No, Mark, please I don't want to hurt you, don't say it.... "Avril..."

"Avril!" I heard someone scream my name from the other side of yard.

I instantly turned my head around, seeking the origin of that voice. I had heard it before.

Ryan.

He was rushing to our side, as if the building was on fire. I looked into Mark's eyes, and this time I could distinguish disappointment. I felt a tug in my gut, but this had to wait. I wasn't ready, not yet and certainly not now.

Ryan stopped in front of me, panting. He asked the question, this question for the second time. I hope this wasn't worst than now.

"Hey Avril, can we talk in private?" Mark was about to argue, but I just followed Ryan.

What he said stopped my heart.

"I was the one who sent you that voice message. I know you know what Samantha is up to, and I don't agree with her plan"

So Ryan wasn't such a jerk after all.

------------

Anyone saw that coming?

Well, anyways please comment and say what you would like to happen next!

Thnx, :)