03 | the young heart

before.

You are the ocean, full of secrets and treasures and so beautiful. I reveled in your glory, loved you so much, let my young heart soak up in all the love you gave me.

But I forgot that the ocean had its dangers too so I drowned.

"YOU ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CREATURE IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE, AKATSUKI MANA AND I WOULD LOVE YOU EVEN IF YOU WEREN'T SO STOP PUTTING ON WHATEVER THOSE THINGS ARE AND LET'S GO."

Mana ignores him. She continues spreading the tinge of pink on her cheek with a brush, makes sure it's perfect and that it makes her look like someone full of vitality.

When she puts down the brush in the vanity, she swears she's never heard someone sound so relieved. Oikawa Tooru stands in her doorway, leans against it frames and if he stands up straighter and increase his height by a couple of inches, she's sure his head will bump into the doorway.

Mana picks up the hairbrush, begins taming her hair and ponders if she should tie it to a waterfall braid, twin tails or a ponytail. She's very certain she'll look hideous in a messy bun, so she immediately crosses that option out.

"Mana-chan for goodness sake, you know I love you in all ways possible so please please stop trying to be beautiful for me and let's leave now," Oikawa whines, and she's certain that if he didn't that have the principle of not entering a girl's room, he might have dragged her out by now.

"Oikawa," she begins, exasperated. It's actually a huge plus that she didn't call him with those depreciating nickname Iwa has for him. "I'm not dressing up for you. I'm doing this for myself. Stop acting like some majestic asscrown and thinking that the world revolves around you because it doesn't. Me, myself and I wish to look like this so I'm going to look like this. I can wear baggy clothes and parade around town with it and I can wear high heels and perfume because I feel like it. This is my body and I decide what to do with it and it's certainly not for you."

He shuts up.

"Good," she says and turn to the mirror again, and begins brushing. "Because you wouldn't like it if a certain someone breaks up with you before you even have the chance to become her boyfriend."

She finishes the last stroke of the hairbrush, wears her hair into a waterfall braid and struts out of the room, so confident.

She steals a last glance at her reflection on the mirror above the vanity. Eyes warm, hair the perfect chocolate brown and cheekbones that looked like they could cut glass.

She looks like a doll.

With a fierce swipe of her sweater sleeve, she leaves, the makeup gone.

Mana is all false fierce and batting eyelashes. She may have been beautiful outside, but no matter how thick the layer of makeup she applies, she's a rotting corpse inside.

* * *

Oikawa takes her to a place, one that smells of gardenias and kneels on one knee. The paths are cobblestone, flower boxes filled with stargazer lilies and hyacinths. The beautiful dance of blue and white. Clesar skies and puffy clouds.

"I know I'm not exactly the most reliable sort," he begins and brushes a lock of his hair with his thumb and pointer. "I keep on saying the wrong6 things. I'm a dumbass, but I like you Mana-chan. I want to be your boyfriend, did I say that right? And also, can I be you know- your boyfriend?"