00 | the boy and the girl, before

before.

I knew you were trouble when you walked in

— but i wanted you anyway.

RAIN SOAKS HER FAVORITE TENNIS SHOES, DAMPS HER TOENAILS AND THE CREVICES BETWEEN THEM. It's a clammy sensation that disgusts her, but she can't leave yet. Fourteen year old Akatsuki Mana is waiting, the patient patient friend who doesn't move an inch because she promised Iwaizumi Hajime.

"You shouldn't have waited," it's Iwaizumi, chastising her as if she's a kid. "You're going to get sick at this rate."

Mana shakes her head. "It's okay," is the only thing she utters.

"It's not," Iwaizumi snaps and despite the ferocity in his voice, the way he grabs her elbow is everything gentle. "Come on, take my umbrella."

"But you're going to get sick," she says, voice firm. "And I'm not some fragile creature you need to take care of. If I can get sick, then so can you."

"I'm strong and you are too, but you've been staying under the rain for God knows how long so you need this."

Eyebrows furrowed and lips parted to voice her protest. "But—" her protest is cut off by a loud, chirpy voice.

"Eh~! Iwa-chan's going home with a girl," it's a boy with brown hair. He's tall, Mana notes, taller than Iwaizumi, eyes the most beautiful shade of brown and his hair is spiking in weird ways but it's adorable. It's like he just rolled out of bed. "I should have figured you what you were up to the moment you rejected my offer to walk with you to your house!"

Mana's eyes narrow. She can't believe the stupidity of this boy. She knows him, of course. He's very popular and he's been friends with Iwaizumi longer than Mana has.

Oikawa Tooru.

He's not the most attractive, but his looks are passable. He looks more decent than the average number of boys in Kitagawa Daichi, even Iwaizumi, but Mana shoves the attraction away.

"Shut up, Trashykawa."

Mana takes note of the jab and laughs.

The boy pouts, but as soon as he's over it, he plants that smug smirk on his face that just makes him look stupid instead of intimidating. "I see what's going on," he says. "You're scared that I'll take her away from you!"

She only shakes her head at the airhead, eyes darting to more important things like the leaves scattered by the ferocious wind, the water kissed pavements and the leaves powdered with droplets.

"Really Iwa-chan," the brunet says and does his best impression of pity. "I know girls will never want you, but having this severe obsession and going as far as to rush her so she doesn't see me is just pitiful."

Mana can't take it anymore. She's known to be patient but there's something about Oikawa Tooru that pushes all of her buttons and taunts her into exploding.

Before Iwaizumi can inflict any sort of physical pain, she interlaces elbows with him and tips her chin upward and shows the idiot a smug smirk.

"I'm sorry," she says like she's remorseful and confused, but the acid underlying in her words are evident. "Who might you be again?"

He smiles, not faltered by her actions. "I'm Oikawa Tooru, I'm the setter of our volleyball team."

"Onkata Tofu?" Mana asks and she's trying so hard to push the giggles welling in the pit of her stomach.

Oikawa still looks unfazed, but she can see the tiniest hints of confusion. He flashes her a smile and Iwa tries to stop her but she merely bats her eyelashes.