e n d | the girl

THE GIRL WANTED TO BE HAPPY.

And she became happy. Despite the pain that used to hit her like thousands of needles underneath her fingernails. The pain of losing others, the sorrow of being left behind. Despite leaving the person who anchored her sanity. The recoil in burning bridges. She managed to. Because she knew. She knew how to move past obstacles now. She didn't turn her back and distance herself from them now. She conquered them like a queen.

The girl learned happiness. No she rediscovered it. How to be truly happy.

Happiness didn't mean that you had to be with someone. Being happy was a state of serenity.

With yourself.

It wasn't about fighting the demons or the removal of grief and all the negativity in your heart.

Mana knows that those demons would never disappear. Her life wasn't a fairy tale and getting the happy ending wasn't as fast as fitting your foot to a glass slipper, demons would never go away. They'd be back, clutch you by the throat until you're waking up, form adorned with sweat and panting. But you would endure.

It was learning to live with it, but still look forward to the thousands and millions of possibilities that awaited you. It was coming to terms, it was learning to be alive.

Some people will tell her she's weak, that she's a coward for breaking it with him and refusing to stay. That cutting ties with him was ugly and revolting. People will tell her that. Eventually there will.

But everything has progressed. She is aware. Like the first light in endless years of eternal darkness. There was no beauty or strength within remaining in a relationship that's done nothing but hurt you and hindered your betterment. There was only strength in leaving. Beauty was in your deed to do something for yourself. Finding love that you deserve.

She's a scarred girl with a scarred heart, but she's living.

And for now, that was all that mattered.

The familiar message tone beeped on her phone and she glanced down at the flickering screen to find out who sent the message. She half expected it to be Kotone; her aunt must want her to run some errands. She was ready for departure earlier but the train had met some problems so she could not leave Miyagi for at least a couple of hours.

KAGEYAMA TOBIO
━ 05: 12 pm ━

↱ Mana-senpai, it's Tobio-kun, but you must have figured that out from the sender name so I'll go straight to the point. I saw you after our watch and I'm grateful you watched it. I heard from Oikawa-san that you two were not together anymore so if you're feeling down, you're always welcome to watch our match with Shiratorizawa. I'll toss so good that you'll leave all that sadness behind :) And also, I have something to give to you so if you're still in Miyagi, can you go back to the gym? ↰

She can practically hear Tobio's awkwardness. This must have been the first time he had texted her. Nevertheless, it makes a smile dawn on her lips.

AKATSUKI MANA
━ 05: 12 pm ━

↱ The train encountered some problems so yeah, I'm still in Miyagi. I'm heading to the gym now. Congrats for winning, by the way! ↰

KAGEYAMA TOBIO
━ 05: 12 pm ━

↱ Thank you, senpai :D ↰

She whips up a fast 'No problem' and puts the phone back on her bag. She begins walking to the gymnasium and for a second, ponders if Oikawa is still there. She's glad that he's okay.