I. Awkward Greetings

CHAPTER ONE: AWKWARD GREETINGS

After spending at least an hour in the car, preparing a ten minute speech related to my capabilities in education, I never would have expected the first thing I'd hear the moment I stepped foot into my new school to be, "Mackenzie Chang, I've heard a lot about you. Welcome to Northern Heights High School." In fact, I had expected the opposite. It just seemed a little too ordinary for a school so prestigious. 

So naturally, I replied with a "And I've heard a lot about this school," and a few compliments, hoping to flatter the school's secretary or at least, have her smile, rather than stare at me with an intimidating gaze. 

And then, I realised - of course, she's heard about me. I was the newest student, and for that to happen, she would have had to read through my resume, as well as my previous schooling records. 

"I have to say, Mrs. Latky, I am extremely honoured that you have decided to accept me into such a gifted and talented school," I continued. 

I almost screamed in happiness, when she finally cracked a smile. "Well, for you to get in, you must be gifted and talented, am I wrong? I must say, you have quite the sporting achievements. Not many have achieved such greatness in athletics in this school." 

"I guess," I replied, modestly, with a genuine smile. The woman shuffled the papers in her drawers. She was a rather chubby lady, who must have been in her forties, and the grey streaks in her blonde locks seemed fairly prominent. I watched as she placed her thick, red-rimmed glasses on the bridge of her nose and read the sheet of paper. It was a slightly amusing sight, with the way she still held her head high, yet had to look down at the same time. 

"Competitive swimming and ice-skating, junior captain of soccer and basketball, and goalie in field hockey - now I think that's a little more than just an 'I guess'," she stated, matter-of-factly. "I'm sure you'll fit in well, as a senior." 

She handed me a bunch of loose sheets of paper, evidently unorganized. "The top sheet is the map of the campus, and the second sheet is your weekly timetable. Dorms are situated on this level and above, so you'll be going upstairs to Room 231. You'll be dorming with Allison Edwards. I'm sure she'll be able to help you find your way around." 

Thanking her, I left her office, fumbling through the sheets of paper in confusion. The campus was huge. There were three gyms in just this building, alone, and it made me wonder how much money this school was donated annually. 

It was only then that I realised how stupid I must have looked, carrying one huge suitcase - courtesy to my mother - and flipping sheets over, most likely looking like a lost kid in the woods. When the elevator doors opened the floor above, the place was a lot more crowded than I had expected it to be. I mean, at least four hundred students lived here, but I didn't think it would be this rowdy of a place. 

There were groups - both boys and girls - situated in almost every corner of the hallways and open rooms. A few strummed their guitars, singing along to a song they were undoubtedly composing, while a few others jammed out to Fancy by Iggy Azalea, in such an insane manner that it made me laugh. A girl sat in the corner, on a large beanbag, sketching away on a notepad and another took pictures of the lively atmosphere present. I noticed several students working out in the gym, clad in tank tops and shorts. 

I couldn't help but wonder how different this was from Oakville Park High. There was a starking contrast between the two schools. While Oakville was a public school, Northern Heights was a private school. The atmosphere here was already welcoming, if I could put it like that.