Chapter Twenty-Six

Alice's POV

My tears still haven't stopped flowing down my cheeks as I couldn't stop my feelings from nearly tearing my heart apart. I knew that it would be hard to leave them, but it had to be done. I had to leave to keep them safe, but I just hadn't thought that it would be this difficult.

I needed to pick up the pace as I was already a little bit behind schedule. I needed to get to Miami International Airport quickly and I knew I had quite a distance to cover still.

Suddenly I heard a honk right behind me which literally made me jump nearly 3 feet up in the air. When I turned around a car had stopped at the side and the driver was waving me closer. Even though I wasn't sure about how safe it would be for me, I still decided to step closer and hear what the driver wanted.

"Hey, where are you going? Don't you have some parents or something that could take you wherever you are going?" She asked kindly after she had rolled down the window.

"Umm, my... My parents are dead... And I'm going to Miami International Airport" I replied calmly, no longer affected by the constant questions about my parents' whereabouts.

"Well, I'm driving in that direction so if you'd like I can take you a bit closer to it?" The woman said kindly as she smiled at me. I could easily detect that she was a human which made me feel a bit more comfortable with the possibility.

"I would really like that. Thank you so much" I said quickly as I walked around the car and opened the back door to get my suitcase and duffel bag in the car and then got into the passenger seat.

*************

"And here we are. I hope you have a safe trip to wherever you are going" She said as she pulled up in front of the airport and stopped so I could get my luggage out of the car.

"Thank you so much for the ride here. I don't know how to thank you" I said truthfully as I pulled my suitcase out after my duffel bag.

"It's okay. I'm just happy to help. Now hurry up or you might miss your flight" She said genuinely. I smiled at her and quickly closed the door of the car, only to have her pull away from the parking spot.

"Here we go. The start of a long and hopefully boring journey" I mumbled to myself as I hoisted up the duffel bag onto my shoulder and headed to the counter to buy a ticket to the earliest plane to San Diego.

*************

I had been extremely lucky as the clerk had been able to offer me an express ticket to a plane that took off an hour and a half later. I had immediately said yes to it and she had checked in my suitcase. I had asked if I would be able to have the duffel bag as carry-on since that was where I had all my cash. She had told me that it was a bit too large but if I paid a little more then she would be able to find a solution to it. I had immediately chosen to pay the amount that I needed to have it with me onto the plane.

So now I was simply sitting and listening to some music. Currently, it was Mad Hatter by Melanie Martinez. It had been one of my favorites for a very long time. I had always had a habit of comparing the lyrics to my life. I had always thought that at some point I would end up going insane. I had lived way longer than I would have thought, and I had somehow managed to hold onto my sanity.

As my playlist went through, it seemed that time somehow managed to fly by like a fighter jet. Within what felt like seconds, the speakers were calling out that the gate I was supposed to go to, was open and that we could begin boarding the plane shortly.

*************

Soon I was sitting in my seat, my headset blaring music into my ears as loudly as possible to drown out all the crying children and their mothers that had somehow chosen to all take the exact same plane as me. I mean... What is my luck that I'd end up going on this plane...?