A Little Fun Never Hurt (Niall)

The afternoon sun was coming through and the weather had allowed us to open a couple of windows. Well, at least the ones that weren’t broken from Harry’s outrage during the night they brought me back.

He had attempted to fix the problem by taping trash bags against them. It had worked for a while until he got annoyed by the sound the plastic made when it was caught by the wind. In the end, he had resulted in ripping them down, claiming that he didn’t care if he got rained on.

“At least I don’t have to hear that fucking sound,” Harry had as he kicked around the bags on the floor.

It was quite a process that I had found pretty entertaining to watch. 

“Why would you want one of those? You’re not missing much,” Liam said, looking up from his laptop.

“I know that but we’re all out of books.”

He cocked an eyebrow, “You’ve finished all of those already?”

“Yeah,” I replied with a shrug.

“We gave you, like, ten. Did you finish the text books that Zayn and Lou gave you, too?”

I nodded.

“Christ, that’s genius,” he said, shaking his head in disbelief. 

I had told Liam, before,  how limited I was at The Cage. They had allowed me a few things and I had a tutor but that it wasn’t exactly enjoyable. It was what they wanted me to learn; very advanced, but nothing recreational. 

“I just like reading,” I mumbled as I picked at the fuzz from the couch cushions.

“I know that, mate. Maybe we can go to the thrift shop down the road. They might have a few. I don’t know about a T.V. though. We don’t want too much around here.”

I chewed on my lip and nodded again while I took up The Catcher in the Rye to read for the third time. Out of all the books the guys had brought for me, that one was probably my favorite, so I didn’t mind. I had also enjoyed Stephen King’s Carrie, for obvious reasons. 

I was just beginning the fourth chapter when the door swung open to reveal Zayn and Harry. Zayn had his phone pressed to his ear and seemed to be having a very intense conversation. His mouth had formed into a tight line and his brows were pressed together.

“Mom, it’s really okay. You don’t-,” he spoke, taking a seat on the other couch. 

“Please, can’t you, like- ugh, alright…yeah, okay. Yes, I’ll tell them…okay, love you, too.”

He hung up and tossed his phone onto the seat beside him and let out a frustrated groan. 

“What’s going on, Zayn? Everything okay?” Liam asked as he put is laptop on the coffee table. 

“It’s my mom. She, ugh, she wants to come over tonight and, like, make dinner for all of us.”

“And you told her yes, right?” Harry asked from his room.

“Yeah…I’m sorry.”

“What, why are you sorry?” Liam asked.

“Well, I don’t know,” Zayn answered with a shrug, “I know we have a lot of stuff going on and I-.”

“That’s exactly why we should. We need a break anyways,” Harry assured. 

“I could use a home cooked meal. I haven’t had one in ages,” added Liam.

“Really? I mean, you guys don’t mind?” said Zayn with a small smile.

“Hell no,” Harry answered, “I’ll call Louis and have him pick up a few things; make it a party.”