Aim for the Heart: Part Three (Louis)

When I woke up that morning, half of my body had been on the couch while the other half had managed to fall onto the floor. My eyes weren’t even opened yet and the headache had already began to pierce through my skull.

            “Holy shit,” I mumbled as I pulled myself from the ground as carefully as I could with as little movement as possible. I checked the time on my watch. It was nearly 10:30 in the morning. I let out a few more groans while I stumbled around the apartment, gathering my belongings as I went.

            Suddenly, my phone went off and I swear phones always knew when you were hungover because the alarm might have been a damn train whistle.

            “Shit, turn it off!” I heard Harry shout from his bed.

            “I don’t know where it is,” I replied, my eyes searching the area. I flipped over the cushions of the couch only to come out empty handed.

            “It’s under the bloody sofa,” Liam said as he yanked back his curtains, “you said you would remember where it was.”

            “Liam, I was drunk. How could you possibly rely on drunk me?”

            “Right, what a ridiculous thought,” he said as he rolled his eyes.

            Pulling my phone out from beneath the couch, I quickly swiped the alarm off but then noticed that it wasn’t an alarm at all. It was a reminder that I had set for an exam in my Criminal Law course.

            “Oh, fuck,” I muttered, checking the time again to realize that I had exactly two hours to study an entire months’ worth of material.

            “Everything okay?” Liam asked while making his way to the coffee pot.

            “I have an exam today that I didn’t study for. You know, no big deal,” I informed, nonchalantly, “But I have to go. I need to at least pretend that I studied for it; have a couple witnesses.” Liam chuckled and I pulled on my jacket.

            “Yeah, that’s nice. Laugh at my struggle.”

            “Lou, your struggle is what keeps us all entertained,” Harry spoke up as he stepped from behind his curtains.

            “Thanks, Harold. You always know how to keep me humble.”

            He smiled and gave a small casual salute before I turned to leave. I figured that if I left then, I would be able to get in a shower and stop at the campus café before locking myself away inside the library. I was dreading all of it.

            After a shower and making myself look somewhat decent, considering that I felt like complete shit, I had finally settled myself into a table towards the very back of the library with a with two very caffeinated coffees and a couple breakfast sandwiches from the café. Granted, I wasn’t exactly all about eating at that moment but I knew I had to get something in my stomach just so I could survive the exam.

            About thirty minutes into the cram session, my phone rang, cutting off my music through my headphones. I smiled when I saw that it was Zayn. He had left before I woke up so I hadn’t seen him all morning. I had wondered if he was just as miserable as I was and by the sound of his voice, the thought was confirmed.

            “This is Louis, currently having my life drained by Criminal Law, please kill me.”

            “Ah, I’m sorry, man. Last minute cram session?” Zayn answered.