Chapter Twelve

I was right when it came to how my day went. I was in a lot of pain from just being so stiff, and then the lack of sleep was horrible. After Clint got up, I went back to bed. I needed all the peace and quiet that I could get, plus I so desperately needed the sleep. My body couldn't handle too many more days like this.

"Ana, are you sure you are doing well?"

"I'm fine. Tired, that's all. I just need more rest. I am looking forward to having this baby... then maybe I won't hurt as much as I do now."

"I hope so, darling. I know this has been really hard on you, and I wish that there was something else I could do to help you."

"It's alright, Clint. All that matters is you're here... and right now that is all I need."

He just nodded, leaving me be for a few moments. I was too tired to honestly focus on having much of a conversation with anyone at the moment. I knew that Clint was just doing his best to be here for me, and I knew that he also had work to do in New York. It would be interesting to see how long he could keep the baby a secret from the rest of his team. He had told me, that he had not said a word to them after I left. He tended to keep his private life from the team, and for once I really glad he did. 

"Ana, you know we are going to have to tell the team in New York, once the baby arrives."

"Yes I know this... and that's fine with me. Just not before hand. I don't want anyone who could hold it against you, to find out that you are a father. Or my enemies to find out, that I am alive, and expecting a child. It is too risky."

"I agree fully. It's not worth it to risk your life, or the baby's. The team will know, as soon as you are ready to tell them. And not a moment sooner."

"Thank you, Clint. It means a lot to me, that you are willing to keep this quiet for a little while longer."

He smiled softly, leaning down to kiss me.

"I know it's important, and I want to keep you safe. It's my job."

"You're going to make a wonderful father... Our son will be lucky to have you as his father."

"And you are doing to be an amazing mother."

"Thank you, Clint."

Clint stayed with me in bed, for quite some time. I enjoyed having him next to me, but I could also tell that he was worried about me. He wanted to make sure I was okay, and I loved him for it. He and I were both very good at keeping our feelings to ourselves, but being spies we also knew how to read each other and just figure it out. I didn't want him to worry, but at the same time I was also worried something wouldn't end right. All that mattered was to keep my head down, try and stay as healthy as possible, and when the time came, be a good mom to our baby boy.