Chapter Thirteen

Life in the Barton household was never boring. The next morning, I woke up to quite the loud noise coming from outside. I quickly got dressed, and made my way downstairs just to find Laura standing in the kitchen laughing.

"What in the world did I miss by sleeping in, and what was that loud noise?"

"Clint and Barney are attempting to get the tractor working again, and in the process managed to break something. So they are currently standing in the back yard arguing over how it broke, and who gets to fix it."

"That just sounds too complicated for this early in the morning... Do you think we should do anything about it?"

"No, they do this every time they have to fix the tractor. They should get over it before too long and actually accomplish what they started earlier."

"If you say so..."

"Now, you need to eat something for breakfast. Take a seat, I'll make you some tea, and see what I can come up with food wise."

"That sounds wonderful, thank you Laura."

"Of course, Ana. I know how important it is to actually be able to eat something when pregnant. Plus, Clint said you had a bit of a rough night."

"A little bit, yes, but it helped that Clint was with me. Just having him nearby makes me feel safe, and not so worried about being alone anymore."
"I was the same way when Barney left the first time I was pregnant. Once he was back, nothing but having him by my side helped make me feel better."
"I have been on my own for years, but there is something about Clint, and being in love, that I hate to be too far away from him. I don't quite understand it yet."
"I'm not sure that we will ever understand it, but I know exactly what you mean. I feel the exact same way about my husband."
I just smiled, with a nod. I couldn't help but sit so I could watch Clint and Barney in the back yard. I must admit that it was quite the sight. They were still arguing about it, but it looked like they had almost resolved the issue of who fixed what. I never understood the way they argued, but it was interesting to see.
"Are they still at it?"
"Yes, but I think it shouldn't be too much longer. It looks like they are stopping arguing."
"Good, maybe they can finally get the field plowed so we can get some good crops in the ground."
"It would be nice. I know it's a good income."
"It is, if they ever get the field ready. But they usually do, it just usually involves an argument of some sort."
"Why does that not surprise me... siblings tend to argue."
Laura nodded as she handed me a cup of tea, and proceeded to place a bagel in the toaster. I continued to watch the men proceed to start fixing the tractor, after quite the argument. For some reason watching Clint work was fascinating to me, and I could hardly bring myself to turn away when Laura handed me the bagel.
"Thank you."
"Of course. Clint said you haven't been eating much, but at least this is something."
"I've been having a bit of an adjustment period lately... I never thought I would be able to have a child, let alone so suddenly."
"I know, but you've done well so far and I believe that you are going to be an amazing mother."
"Thank you, Laura. I just hope that the baby will be happy and healthy. Clint is a good man, and I'm looking forward to raising a child with him."
"You two are a good fit, and are going to be wonderful parents."
Laura and I spent most of the morning talking while the men worked the field. It was nice to be in the country side, and not having to constantly look over my shoulder. I still had a lot to decide on when it came to the nursery, and the birth. I would likely be having the baby at home, only because I was too scared to stay in a hospital for very long. I was afraid I would be found by the people that tried to kill me, and I did not want them to know I was still alive, let alone about to have a child. All of this was just something I had dreamed of, and now, as long as I was careful, that dream was about to become a reality.