Truths

"Talk" It was the only thing I managed  to say as I sat across Ammar.

"You wound me, Farrah" He said, smiling. Chills climbed up my spine, their icy fingers causing me great discomfort as Ammar continued to look at me with a great deal of amusement and wonder, no signs of an approaching conversation in his expression.

I sighed, miffed.

"I can leave here right now if you want" I said, smiling internally when my remark wiped the smile off his face.

Now sitting stoically before me, eyes holding none of the mischief and playfulness he had previously, I started to feel even more uncomfortable.

His aura had changed drastically.

"It's time I told you a story, Farrah" He started, tone clipped.

A story you should've been told a long time ago".

Feeling something heavy lodge itself in my throat, I forced a swallow.

Dread, I realised. The feeling that caused me so much anxiety was dread.

It could be that somewhere in my heart, a small portion that had retained it's innocence despite the harshness of the life it'd been dealt, still trusted.

....trusted that Ammar was telling the truth.

"Once upon a time there were three friends, who grew up together.

They worked hard, laboured and toiled to make names for themselves and soon, when they'd come of age, they'd actualised their dreams.

They'd become great, renowned in the field of business. Together, they built an empire that was almost infallible.

Each of these three men, these bestfriends had children, children they each loved dearly.

At the stage they'd reached, the progress they'd made, the friends realised that they needed to focus their time and their energy on other things.

Wanting to further solidify their bond, they considered uniting their children in marriage.

The first man, A, had two daughters--They were his jewels, twin sisters that brought radiance into his life after his wife had left him, unable to stand his devotion to his work that resulted adversely in his neglect for her.

The second, B, had a son, hardworking and very smart. Like his father, he was as strategic as he was handsome, the brains behind the business. More reserved and quiet, he usually kept to himself, never going out of his way to socialize except he was required to. His heart was kind and he had a warmth about him.

The third C's son was best friends with B's son. While he wasn't as tactical as B's son, he was extremely jovial and got along well with people. He had a way about him that made people want to put their trust in him, and so, he was their marketing trump card. He provided clientele to the business.

One of the daughters of Mr A, was close to  B and C's sons, she was the third of their unlikely trio, not as outgoing as Mr C's son but miles more social than Mr B's.

They had attended school together and grown up together.

Mr B and C noticed how close the sons were to Mr A's daughter, and so, each of them planned to get their sons married to her.

The question of 'who to marry?' then arose.  The lady was left to decide.

She was confused and her mind was in a state of chaos. How could she choose between her best friends?