Seeking knowledge is essential

Zayyad

"Really Harun?! A pet snake? Are you being serious right now?" I chuckled a little, listening to yet another tale of Harun's escapades.

"I'm telling you man!" He said laughing, "I legit thought it was a good idea until I realised I hadn't heard my cat all day and saw the cat-sized bulge in the snake's belly" Harun said.

"Man, I was depressed for days. You know how much I loved that cat" I smiled at that, remembering the day we'd both gone to get his cat from the pet store.

"Yeah" I said, reminiscing, "I do".

" Those were the good times man. Stress free days when our only worry was that ustadh would kill us for not completing our hifz*" Harun said, shuddering.

"You know, he never used that slipper on me. You on the other hand....." I laughed, "Ya Allah, Harun you were a handful, still are" I added, pulling off my suit jacket as I adjusted the temperature of the office so it was colder.

Farrah didn't like the cold very much.

I smiled a little absent mindedly, I could see the way she used to shiver when she first got here, way too quiet to even suggest that I increase the temperature.

She'd pull her hijaab tighter over herself, redness coating her cheeks as she sniffled.

I personally liked the cold. But I knew I had to adjust things for her.

The concept of doing things for her was an oddly satisfying notion. I don't even know why I did it, just that her smile of contentment was so heart-warming.

"Zayyad" Harun called, catching my attention. There was a weird look on his face as he looked at me.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"You've been smiling and chuckling way too much. It's freaking me out bro. What happened to no-smiles, intimidating Zayyad Bilal?" He asked, faking a look of distress.

The guy was a drama queen.

"I don't know what you're talking about Harun. I smile very often" I dismissed him, ignoring the knowing look he regarded me with.

"Uh huh" He said, eyes shining with disbelief and amusement.

"Enough about me", I quickly interjected, pretending not to notice the look in his eyes that screamed 'I'll let this one slide, for now'.

"How's aunt doing?" Harun's groan was his form of a reply.

"Don't even ask" I was a little surprised at Harun's response.

Aunt Aysha was the sweetest woman I knew. During our university days, she'd drive for three to our university once every month.

Sometimes she'd bring Harun's little brother, Hamza but every time, she'd bring a whole lot of delicacies.

She was basically a part of my family, considering how dear she and her family were to me, and I to them.

"What's it?" I asked, perplexed.

"Man" Harun groaned, exasperatingly. "Mum's been hammering the issue of nikkah into my head since the day I got back. She barely even let me finish my food before she started to ask if there was any one I was interested in" I almost laughed at the situation.

"Harun" I called, feeling a smile creep up on my face. "If I told you that my uncle's been doing the exact same thing to me, would you believe?" I asked, rhetorically.

Harun's expression was screamed pain. "Oh no", he groaned dramatically. " Not him too!".

I chuckled a little, surprised at how casual I felt at the entire issue.