What makes a husband, Farrah?

For the first time in a while, I didn't wake up with the zeal to work.

I felt frustrated at everything; the worn out mattress that I'd promised my self to replace, the floorboards that creaked as I made my way to the bathroom, the toothpaste that hung limp in it's holder, barely left with any content.

Even the smell of the coffee Fareedah was brewing annoyed me.

When you spent all night trying to figure out Ammar's nonsense'. The thought came as I walked into the kitchen.

"I'm not even going to ask" Fareedah said, the minute i walked into the kitchen, 'because you, my dear sister, are definitely not okay. Plus, your eyes are red and blotchy. I feel sorry for your boss, having to deal with your sorry sight this morning" She concluded.

Always one for brutal honesty, Fareedah gave me a once over, scoffing.

As if to deal the finishing blow, she made a show of raising her palms up. "Ya rabb, grant Mr Zayyad the endurance to withstand this horrible sight. Ya Allah, protect his eyes from this incorrigible creature before me. Ameen ya rabb", she finished.

" You've made your point clear, I look bad" I said, rolling my eyes at the smiling Fareedah.

She raised a finger up, making me wait for her to chew her toast. "Not bad, horrible" She said, teeth on display as she mocked me smilingly.

"Okay" I said, exasperated. "Horrible! Yes, I look like the absolute worst human to have ever walked the planet" I said, fighting the smile that had begun to form as Fareedah laughed.

"Your words, not mine. In my eyes, you're still a beautiful, stunning, amazing girl" She said, coming to wrap her arms around me.

I couldn't fight the smile anymore, letting her wrap her arms around me.

"You'll tell me whatever's up later?" She asked. I just smiled at her, nodding.

I loved the fact that she never pressured me. Even when she knew something was up, she'd just try to cheer me up, letting me fill her in at my own time.

"I've kept your breakfast on the table. Make sure you wash your face with the new cleanser I got. I'd hate to see you get fired for looking like a zombie" Fareedah said, making her way out of the kitchen.

"I'm sure the only reason you'd be sad would be because of that new mattress you want" I called after her laughing.

"You know me too well baby" She yelled back at me, leaving me shaking my head as I turned towards my food.

In a couple of minutes, I'd gotten dressed up and was preparing to leave.

"Man!!!" Fareedah called out loudly as she entered the kitchen, and instantly I knew she was on hyping mode.

Hyping mode was basically this weird thing she did where she'd basically advertise someone when she thought they looked good. She'd talk into the room like she had an audience she was trying to market to.

"See that glow?! That right there is my sister y'all. She's left zombie land and damn, her debut into the world of the living is just so mad, so spectacular, so splendid. All the man dem are going to be falling at her feet but you know what? She ain't gonna be looking at those twits cause guess what?" She said, holding a hand to my mouth as she waited for me to complete her sentence.

"We're on a halaal flex" I said, laughing.

Fareedah's look was murderous at this point.

"If you're going to spoil my marketing, then don't even talk. What's 'we're on a halaal flex?'. That sound so drab, and you know it habibti. It's more like 'We on a halaal flex yo!'. You've got to add the razz into it" She said.