Colour Me Red!

Farrah

Before you go on to read, know that today was the most embarrassing day of my life. Wallahi, I'm not even kidding.

Presently, I'm on my bed, watching my phone buzz with Mr Zayyad's calls, and not picking.

You might think I'm mad.

Me, the Farrah that can't control her foolish hormones around her boss, refusing to pick said boss's calls. Especially when it was extremely rare to get one of those.

Well, this morning, I'd have been surprised at my behaviour towards the calls too. But after the day I just had, I'd die of mortification if I heard my boss's voice.

I'll put you out of your misery now, and just go ahead to narrate what happened.

7:30am

I was running late for work, glancing impatiently at my watch as the cab man swerved past a bend.

On a normal day, I'd have possibly muttered ma shaa Allah and praised the man's drifting skills but all I could think about was that there was a meeting scheduled for 7:30am, and I was still in the cab.

I'd somehow slept in that morning, after my stomach had decided to torture me yesterday night.

The moment I woke up, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach but thought nothing of it. In between rushing to bathe, brushing, and getting my hair untangled, I'd wasted a good thirty minutes.

'Why are you like this Farrah? Everytime, every single time, you'll promise yourself not to sleep after your subhi prayer and then fall asleep anyway.

Shaytan's responsible for your misery baby,.... Shaytan!'

Quite frankly, I wasn't ready to lose myself in my thoughts that morning.

So I pulled my white dress from the wardrobe, and a nude jersey hijaab. A black bag and shoe followed it.

' Always count on black to save you from making foolish choices. Lord, thank you for the colour black!'.

My thoughts accompanied me as I raced down the muddy trail to the road, expertly skipping on the stones till I got to dry land.

I hailed a taxi immediately, begging him to drive fast.

The minute the building was in sight, I shot out of the door, handing the man the money as I waved gratefully.

My legs were made of wind as I ran up the stairs and towards Mr Zayyad's office.

I was at the front of his door, trying to steady my breath when it swung open.

I must have looked a spectacle to him, eyes wide in alarm, chest heaving like a fish out of water and soles stained in mud.

But of course, he didn't comment about my appearance.

'Uh uh, and what did he say about your punctuality?'.

Oh, right. He did say something. And hadn't I been too busy trying not to hyperventilate from his presence, I probably would've wished my self away.

"Late again I see, Miss Ahmad".

His expression was blank as he made his comment, thankfully. He didn't particularly seem angry, just used to it, which only made me feel worse.

"Luckily, I had expected this and made you come half an hour before the actual meeting started".

My shocked gasp was followed by a short chuckle from him.

My heart was stuck between disbelief that he would trick me in that manner and seizing to beat from how beautiful he looked in that moment.