Dunharrow

I watched my city from one of the windows in the inn as I cleaned some mugs. Just another day, waiting for this storm to arrive. Aragorn ran past, almost tripping over his own feet. I set the mug and rag down and went to the front door. Aragorn was already up the stairs. I turned back where he had come from.

The beacons! They were lit! It was time. I was glad that the waiting was over, but worried for my brothers, my friends, and Eomer.

"What's going on out there, Maeve?" Kaila called from the rooms.

"The beacons are lit!" I heard some crashes and Kaila came stumbling out from the hallways. I giggled as she righted herself. Laniel ran in the back, water threatening to slosh out of her buckets. "What are you doing standing around? Go get ready!" Both nodded and set down what they were holding, running off to grab their bags, which had been packed for a few days now.

I waited by the door, waiting for the horn to signal muster. There! Jarel and Kalem ran into the inn, grabbing their own packs from our room. They handed me my pack and swords before running to the stables. I ushered Kaila, who was fretting needlessly over her inn, down as well.

Wyndlance was waiting for me outside, even though the stable boys had much to do to prepare for the ride out. I smiled and patted his neck. My brothers were borrowing a pair of the King's horses for the war. I put my bags on his back, securing them as best I could.

I rode with Eowyn and the other ladies of the court, just behind Theoden and his Marshalls. There were few of us, but we gave the men hope and courage. We rode hard, pausing for short meals and to keep our horses energized.

At Dunharrow, us women led our men to their campsite, nearest to the Paths of the Dead. When I was younger, I had believed that it was just another tale mothers told to eager children. But they loomed over our camp, making all our horses and men skittish.

Theoden rode around to the other camps, seeing how many men had arrived. Eowyn and I set up our tent and everyone set up around us, leaving room near us for the king. Eowyn took care of Wyndlance as I began a meal cooking. She finished before I did and went to gather bowls from soldiers who wanted warm food, which was most of them. I filled the bowls and she and the other women brought them to the men.

Kai and Lani hung around as we finally ate our own meal. We talked and joked, but never did we laugh. Our fear was too strong. Kaila took our bowls to wash with some of the other women. Laniel walked around to the horses, calming their nerves and helping them rest. Eowyn was in our tent, outfitting Merry in some child's armor.

"Is there any warm food left for us?" a familiar voice asked. I looked up and saw Eomer, Theoden, and some of the other leaders.

"Of course." I filled bowls for them quickly, knowing the food was cooling. Theoden thanked me and walked off to where his meeting tent was set up. Eomer and Gamling sat on a log near my fire while the others split off to their own fires. There was only one bowl of food left in my pot, so I put it in a bowl to give to Merry later. He needed to eat now if he was to have strength to fight.

Eowyn and Merry left the tent then, the hobbit holding his little sword in front of him.

"To the smithy - go!" Eowyn urged.

"You should not encourage him," Eomer chided.

"And you should not doubt him," she retorted. I rolled my eyes at their bickering. Both were on edge and that made their fights worse.

"I do not doubt his heart. Only the reach of his arm." I paused. True, but there was much someone as small as Merry could do on a battlefield.

"Why should Merry be left behind? He has as much cause to go to war as you! Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

"War is the province of men, Eowyn." I rounded on Eomer as his sister stalked off.

"I understand that you are trying to convince her and Merry to stay, but you are only convincing them to go and prove themselves," I reprimanded. "Merry, I have no reason to hold back. He may surprise some orcs, giving our men the opportunity to kill them. He is small, they may not notice him."

"Eowyn must lead the people," Gamling assured me.

"I will do what I can to keep her here, but do not blame me if she finds a way into battle."

"That is all we can ask of you," Eomer sighed. Gamling left to his own tent quietly, sending me a nod of thanks. Eomer was close to breaking.

"You're strong, Love," I whispered. "Focus on your men, on your horse, on your sword. Anything but your feelings."

"It is death we ride toward."

"Yes. But not your death." He sighed again before kissing my forehead and heading off to his tent.

Eowyn returned, a stern look on her face. Kaila and Laniel were camping closest to the men where they could leave faster. I continued to stay out near my fire for a while longer. The women accepted my leadership as Eowyn "rested" in our tent. Many were scared to sleep so near the Paths. The men kept watch. They wouldn't let anything near us.

Eventually, I doused my fire and joined Eowyn in our tent. She was hiding her sword when I entered.

"I know you mean to fight," I whispered. "I will not stop you, but I will not help you sneak off."

"I would not expect you to," she replied. "You understand me."

"Yes. Sleep now." She snorted at my tired order but complied rolling into her blanket.