Gondor's New King

There were so many people. The entire city of Gondor was gathered for the coronation of the Dunedain. Eomer, being the heir of Rohan, stood near to the platform where Gandalf stood. Gimli waited nearby us with the crown rested on a soft pillow.

"Eomer?"

"Yes, Love?"

"My brothers? Are they-" I cut myself off, swallowing thickly.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. I shut my eyes hard, begging the tears not to come. This was supposed to be a happy day. I could mourn later. He took my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. I gripped his hand like it was the only thing keeping me alive.

Then it was time. Aragorn walked out and the crowd fell silent. He did not look at the gathered people just yet, instead kneeling in front of Gandalf. The White Wizard made him say some vows and such.

"Now come the days of the King!" Gandalf announced, lifting the crown from Gimli's pillow and placing it on Aragorn's head. "May they be blessed."

Aragorn stood tall upon the steps, his new crown gleaming in the sunlight as white petals were thrown before his feet. The people's cheers echoed off the main building. They were quickly silenced as Aragorn began to sing. The elvish melody penetrated deep into my heart, giving me hope to counter my loss. Everyone remained silent as he walked down the steps through the people.

Eomer stepped forward between his men, as they shuffled to let me stand next to him still. Aragorn passed us with a smile and a nod. I bowed my head to him in respect. Once he had passed deeper into the crowd, Eomer pulled me back behind his men.

A loud cheer rose up as the elves paused their small procession. Most of them had left these shores. I knew Aragorn had loved an elf maiden, but I didn't know if she had left yet or not. The cheering died down rather quickly.

Aragorn spoke, his words carrying easily through the crowd. "My friends, you bow to no one." As the crowd bowed, I saw four small figures in the center, standing curiously. The hobbits! I smiled and bowed. Eomer followed my lead, which caused the rest of the Rohirrim to bow.

We didn't hold the bow long. Aragorn made his way through the rest of the people before entering his castle at the top of the White City.

Unlike in Rohan, there was not a large dance following any large gathering. The people dispersed. Eomer left me to get out of his armor. I found my way back to the Houses of Healing where my friends were waiting with stories to tell.

"Kaila! Laniel! Explain!" I ordered upon finding them.

"Oh don't be like that-" Kaila shrugged off.

"Kaila was far too reckless," Laniel interrupted. Kai had gotten Lani mad. That was something.

"I wasn't being too reckless! I killed three Oliphaunts!"

"Even I would count that as reckless, Kai," I returned. "But brave as well. My brothers?"

"In the first charge against the Oliphaunts," Lani explained. "We didn't see them before they were swept into the air and crushed under the feet."

"I did kill the Oliphaunt that did it," Kai offered. I smiled weakly.

"I suppose you'll be glad to hear Edoras is still in good condition," I stated suddenly. "They all await their men of course, and tensions ran high from worry. But everything is alright."

"That is good," Laniel agreed. "You'll be glad to hear Eomer is approaching."

"And, this time, I may actually believe you two," I joked. Kaila looked shocked. "Oh, come on now! What did you think I was doing while you both were training your abilities?"

"You told us you were with your horse," Lani queried.

"For a part of the time I was," I admitted.

"But I may have pulled her away from her training more than a few times," Eomer admitted from behind me.

"Took you long enough," I teased. "Now go find Eowyn." Eomer planted a soft kiss on my cheek before walking off to find his sister.

"Go with him," Kai suggested. "Eowyn will be glad to see you too." I narrowed my eyes at her, aware it could be something more but agreeing to go.

Eomer hadn't gone all that far before  spotting his sister and neither did I. She was walking around the main garden with a Gondorian man I had seen her with before. Eomer arrived before I did, but I could see his stiffness from a fair distance away.

"It would be a pleasure to get to know the brother of such a wonderful woman," the Gondorian spoke as I approached.

"Eowyn!" I called, finally seeing the shorter woman.

"Maeve!" she gasped. She glanced at her brother before I tackled her in my arms. "How? When?" I laughed lightly as we pulled apart. She was so surprised she could hardly speak.

"Eomer rode out to fetch me so I could witness the crowning of the King," I explained. I glanced pointedly at the man with her, whom Eomer was glaring at.

"Maeve, meet Faramir, Steward of Gondor," she introduced. "Faramir, meet Maeve, an old friend of mine."

"Any friend of Eowyn is a friend of mine," he claimed, bowing properly. My eyes flickered knowingly between the two of them.

"So, tell me, how long have you two known each other?" I asked Eowyn, wiggling my eyebrows for a double meaning.

"After the first battle," she admitted, color rising thickly to her fair cheeks. "I was wounded killing the Witch King so he couldn't kill my uncle." My eyes widened.

"You did what now?" I clarified sternly, my eyes blazing.

"You would've done the same thing!" she defended herself.

"Well yeah, but that's not the issue here!" I returned. "Kaila and Laniel were both fighting out there! They could've helped!"

"They were off with the Oliphaunts on the other end of the battle," she explained. "How would you expect me to call them? Theoden was dying!"

"You hold a fair point," I narrowed my eyes at the young woman, "but I will admire your reckless tendencies, much to your brothers chagrin." The two of us snickered as Eomer protested loudly.