Leaving

The army would ride off in the morning. Aragorn and his friends had already left through the Paths of the Dead. I had already said farewell to my brothers, knowing I probably wouldn't see them in the morning. The other women and I had made enough quick meals for the men who had arrived, plus some. They didn't need to be warm and they could eat while riding.

A horn blowing jarred me from my sleep. Eowyn and I both sat up straight. It was time. My heart clenched. We exited our tent. Eowyn disappeared into the men readying themselves and their horses. Other ladies peered from the tents.

"Say your farewell's if you have not already," I bid them. They roused their tent mates and hurried around the camp. Soon, I was the only one by our tents. We didn't have to leave until after the men left, so we didn't get in their way.

I walked down to where the horses were for our men. Firefoot had yet to be saddled. I smirked and hefted Eomer's saddle on his horse. Firefoot was surprisingly still. Of course he might be asleep. I used my fingers to brush out his mane. He nickered at me and I patted his nose.

"He never lets anyone saddle him but me," Eomer stayed from behind me. "And even then I have to struggle a bit."

"Your fault for picking him. He's a ladies man." I faced him and he drew me into his arms. "Be safe."

"I will." For that moment, the war didn't seem so bad. Eomer pulled back and pressed a strong kiss on my lips. I returned it eagerly.

"I promise I'll come back to you," he whispered, our foreheads touching.

"I'll be waiting." He sighed before finally letting me go and mounting Firefoot. He rode off through the men as I stood where I was, my heart constricted.

I couldn't help thinking that that could've been the last time we spoke. That he would break his promise. That I would be left alone.

I sighed and walked back up to my tent, ducking inside and packing up my things, along with what Eowyn had had to leave behind. Hooves pounded and I exited, leaving my bags where they were. The ladies gathered near me as we watched the army ride off.

And then they were gone. I wasn't the only one who stared after their dust cloud even as it began to disappear. I sighed finally and turned to the women.

"Have any of you seen Eowyn? She is not in our tent." The ladies became wide eyed at this news, proclaiming that none had seen her. "Then she has rode off with the men."

"What do we do, Lady Maeve?" an older woman asked. They all stared at me and I recoiled slightly. Right. I had to lead now. I gulped down my fears.

"We continue as normal. Pack your things. We leave for Edoras in half an hour," I ordered. They all nodded and rushed off to prepare. I ducked inside my tent and finished packing. Wyndlance trotted himself up to where we were, the other horses following him.

"Good boy," I praised, patting his neck. He nickered in reply and I giggled, my head tucking into his strong neck. I tied Eowyn's things and our tent onto Windfola, her horse that she'd left behind. Merry's pony was among the herd so I directed the women to put their tents on him so their horses wouldn't be as burdened.

Almost an hour passed before we actually left. I wasn't mad, I was expecting it actually. We had no need for urgency. Still, I held our pace at an easy canter. Our breaks were longer and filled with talk, but little laughter. A few of the higher ranked women talked with me about business matters.

People lined the streets as we trotted inside the gate. A couple shield maidens were guarding the gate. Word spread quickly that Eowyn was off in battle and that I was leading in her stead.

I spent a while in Wyndlance's stall, mentally preparing for leading the people. They looked up to me. I had to help where I could. I mothered my brothers, I can mother the people. Yes! Just act like the people are my children and I'll make the right decisions. Hopefully. I exhaled and finally left the stables, heading up towards Meduseld.

"Lady Maeve!" a woman called. I glanced back to see Hilde, the woman who had taught me how to raise my brothers.

"Hello, Hilde," I greeted.

"Is there any hope that the men will return?" I looked at her then at the eager crowd behind her.

"There is always hope," I promised. "But I cannot promise that all of our men will return. It is war and war is a bloody business. But for now, hope that they will return and do your business as usual." The people bowed their heads towards me before turning and heading back to work. I continued up the steps to the Golden Hall.

A few of the women aided me as I began leading our people. The men were off at war. Preparations had to be made for their return. And some in the case that they did not. I had more work done for their return.

Honestly, there wasn't all that much I couldn't do outside of Meduseld. More often than not, I was helping women clean dishes and weaponry. I was aiding young boys in their beginners training. The older folks ran much of the city. With the Queen being dead for so many years, they had learned how to make the city function without a ruler around. I conversed often with them, learning the duties of the Queen. I did not remember her since I was still a child when she died. As the days passed, I took on more and more official roles. Everyone trusted me to make the best choice. I swallowed my fears and gave advice based on what I knew and what I had learned. Of course, things didn't always turn out as planned, but those issues were usually quickly solved another way.