Helm's Deep

Folks passed me and my group of children, carrying bags of food and blankets and buckets of water. Word went around that the Stone Maiden was taking care of the children. Mothers brought the ones too little to help and who just got in the way. Soon enough, a large crowd sat around me, and a baby in my arms, all listening intently to my stories.

"Lady Maeve!" a boy interrupted. He was about fifteen years old, just starting to grow a beard. "Sorry to interrupt, but the King would like you to go into the caves."

"Thank you for delivering the message," I dismissed. I gestured for my crowd of children to stand. "Come with me and I'll finish my story in the caves."

"Do you want assistance, my lady?" the young man asked. I nodded and he helped me stand. Once on my feet, I was fine. My limp wasn't too horrible. Laniel's healing was faster than average, and she'd been able to get to it quickly.

In the caves, I led my group to a large open space. I sat with my back against a support pillar and the children gathered tightly around me. Just as soon as I started up the story again, more and more children joined us. Some men came by and took the oldest boys from the group to fight. Jarel and Kalem were fighting, and I was minding the children.

The doors to the caves were closed and barred. A signal was arranged with some shield-maidens at the door for if the battle was won. Word spread through the caves of the signal and we all waited. Babies cries echoed through the caves. Still, I continued telling stories, my voice carrying easily in the eerie silence.

"There he stood, his men dead around him, his sword broken, and staring down the enemy. The orc swung at him." I paused, the children were enthralled, not noticing the yelling that had begun outside. "A horn blew and the orc stopped his blade. He took that chance to cut off the orcs hand and take his sword for himself. Reinforcements from the West had arrived just in time. They killed the remaining orcs and saved his life."

Screams and swords were then heard through the doors. The orcs were slaughtering our men and boys. Children fled to their mothers knees. I stood and walked to the door. Eowyn was already there, waiting for the signal.

"Where are your brothers?" she whispered to me. I nodded my head towards the doors. Her eyes widened.

"Both are good with the sword," I assured her. "I believe they will last the fight. That is enough for me." The people spread word that I believed we would win. That gave hope to many of them. If their Stone Maiden could hope, then they could as well.

I wish our places had been switched. That I was out in battle and they were safe in the caves.  But I knew that they were much too troublesome to stay inside and would've snuck onto the battlefield anyway. If we survived, I promised myself that I wouldn't worry so much about them. If we survived, they would've proven that they could protect themselves and defend our people. Unfortunately, that was a promise I knew I would break. They were my brothers. They'd been my responsibility since I was their age. I had raised them. I knew exactly what they were capable of. But that did not stop me from worrying when they were in battle and I was not.

The signal came. We returned it and Gamling spoke quickly. "Leave through the mountain pass." My breath caught in my throat. We were losing. I recovered quickly and stoically made my way to Eowyn, who had moved through the crowd, helping where she could.

"Eowyn, we have received word from the men," I began loudly. "We are to make for the mountain pass." My words echoed through the quiet cavern.

"Then up the pass we shall go," she replied. The two of us walked to the foot of the pass, people standing and walking behind us, carrying what they could.

"Lead them, sister. I will make sure none are left behind," I whispered.

"What about Eomer?"

"He would want you safe above all else," I asserted. "We don't have time to argue this. I will be careful, I promise." She nodded and led the way up. I stood to the side, nodding to people as they entered and standing guard to the doors. A few shield-maidens offered to stay behind, but I sent them on ahead.

My hope faded more as the sounds of the battle grew louder. A majority of the people were moving up the pass, but there were still many who were waiting. Suddenly, the orcs were banging on the doors. The people gasped and bunched up near the entrance. My eyes hardened. I marched through the crowd and they parted to give me a path.

I stood just far enough away that the orcs would have to pass me to reach them. All the other shield-maidens had been sent on. It was just me. The crowd pushed up the pass, allowing me to retreat to a more secure location as the banging increased.

The doors shattered, sending wood in all directions. People screamed in fear as they rushed towards us. I drew my swords and waited. The orcs ran in multiple directions, but when I killed one of their own they turned their attention to me.

It wasn't too much longer before they completely surrounded me. I defended with my left sword and killed with my right. Soon enough a pile of Urukhai laid around me and black blood pooled on the ground.

One of them kicked my leg on accident. Pain shot through me and I collapsed. A scream flew from my lungs. They wouldn't let me get back on my feet.

Men came pouring in, slaughtering the remaining Urukhai. They turned to face their new enemies. I stood and started to hack at them again. A path cleared to the pass and I ran up, making sure there were no orcs I had missed. Soon enough, I caught up with the group.

"We won!" I yelled. "The orcs are slain!" The people cheered and passed along my message up the passage, turning and following me down the stairs.

"How many did you kill, Stone Maiden?" one of the men asked as I walked out of the pass. I finally looked at the dead Urukhai.

"All the ones that you did not," I answered. "Looks around forty, from the body count."

Everyone who heard me was astonished. The murmurs of "the Stone Maiden" only grew as we travelled back to Edoras.