Chapter 13

(Listen to The Night We Met by Lord Huron for this chapter. It's what I was listening to when I wrote it :))

I sat across from him at the quiet diner, my hands shaking as I held the cup of coffee. "Luna, look at me." His voice was soft and calm. A stark contrast to just an hour ago. "We need to talk."

I slowly moved my gaze up to him. His soft skin, pink lips and gleaming eyes staring back at me. A face I at one time couldn't get enough of. "I know."

"I understand I overreacted. I'm sorry. I was all worked up. I've been under a lot stress right now and I think I took it out on you." I watched as he stirred the spoon around in his mug, heat rising from the hot tea. "But, you had no right to attack me. What if you had seriously hurt me? You would've lost Daya forever. Do you really want to jeopardize that?"

"Of course not. But Harry, you kept my daughter from me for months. You kept her away from me at one of the most difficult times in my life. I went from having her all the time to talking to her twice a week if I was lucky. You have to see that this is all your fault. If you'd just drop your vendetta against me then maybe we could be a functioning family. I'm not saying we have to like each other but we at least need to act like it for Daya's sake." I was trying not to let myself get worked up but it was so hard when he was sitting in front of me.

"I know." He said, his voice quiet. This was the first time Harry actually seemed to want to make amends. "I think we need to work on us so that Daya can have us both in her life. Today when everything got so crazy... I don't know... I just realized how avoidable it all was. I know it's not going to be easy and I know we can't just completely erase all the wrong but I think we need to work past it and be better parents."

I twiddled with my fingers underneath the table as he talked, his words seeming sincere for the first time in a while. I watched as the waiter placed down the pancakes in front of Harry and the chicken and waffles in front of me. I nodded a quick thank you before taking a bite.

"I agree. I think Daya has been through enough these past few months." I spoke with my mouth full, a small smile on Harry's lips. "Do you think I could have Daya tonight? I really mis-"

"Yes. I'm sorry I even made a big deal about it in the first place. It just threw me off guard. But yes, you can have her tonight and I'll even arrange for you guys to do something tomorrow while we're off doing promo." A warm feeling crept in my stomach, happiness. All I've wanted was to cuddle with Daya and wake up to her jumping on me in the morning.

Harry and I finished up dinner and talked a little more about Daya and everything that happened. We agreed to leave the lawyers out of it for now, hoping everything stays okay.

"How is tour going?" I questioned, and he looked genuinely caught off guard. "What?"

"Nothing, nothing. I just.. I can't remember the last time you and I had a normal conversation that didn't involve yelling or rude comments. Uh, it's good though. We're at that sweet beginning where the shows aren't too hectic and it's mostly meet and greets which I love. But once we get out to the west coast it'll get crazy."

"Yeah, I remember. The one year I went on tour with you guys full time was the worst." I laughed, remembering how little sleep we got. "It was fun though." I sighed and leaned back in the booth, feeling extremely sleepy. "Jet lag is kicking my arse right now."

"Let's head home. I'm sure Daya's back, you guys can go relax." Harry paid the tab after declining my money a billion times.

"I'll go see if they're back and bring Daya to your room if they are." Harry told me as I unlocked my door. I went inside and quickly changed into comfy clothes, unpacking all my toiletries. I wiped the make up off my face and brushed the chicken taste out of my mouth when I heard a knock on the door.