The Girl In The Mirror

I shall not worry. I say to myself. But who am I to think that I would be able to stop this fear?

They say I'm not a burden. That I must not think of such hideous things. But who are they to say that? When they only know a fracture of it.

A small shard of glass, representing the little pain I had showed to the world, is in the palms of those around me, desperately trying to find its way back to its home, a once undamaged mirror that holds my secrets of agony.

I look into that mirror. Not failing to notice the area where that glass piece once belonged and the many fine cracks that were caused by its leaving.

I'm afraid. I am worried that this mirror will break. That it may break into several more different shards of glass and more of me, my story, will be exposed to all the people I know.

I force the corner of my lips upwards, forging the curve of happiness in my eyes. But then it falls back down.

I see nothing happen to my reflection in front of me. I merely stand there with a dull expression, giving no effort to imitate the smile I just did earlier.

I know. I can see it. I understand what all this is. And I am stuck. Stuck in a mirror, unable to find happiness since everyday I wander around valleys and fields of glass and darkness.

I try. I try to fix things. But sometimes it's just impossible. No one can set free the girl trapped in the mirror.

Unless you break it.

As I have told you, I am afraid. Afraid that when it shatters, when the bars that keep it locked are bent and cut open, people will hate me. And they will stop in their tracks, retreating their wish of saving the girl in the mirror.