The traitor : Part Two.

Sitting on the floor of his room, utterly alone, his heart hammering at his doubt, mind completely worn out, for the second time in his life, Raj started to wonder, if he made the right choice, by joining the army.

No..no it couldn't be true. That person...was the reason he had gotten out of the depressed state, when his parents died. He owed his life to him. How could he...betray his country, his people? How could he betray....him??

Heart still hammering he started pacing around the room. He didn't have any definite proof linking this person to any of the crimes he had discovered. So mayb...maybe there was a chance, that he was wrong...mayb...mayb..he was doubting him without a reason.
How could Raj find out, what was the truth?
How could he, with finality know, whether the person was innocent or not. And he had to know, or else he would go crazy.

Still pacing, his eyes fell on his uniform, hanging on a peg. Pinned to his shirt, was his name tag. Capt Rajveer Singh Shikhawat.

He started pacing again.
He needed to see all of his company's sales graphs, profit reports and bank statements.
Also all of his investment reports and a list of assests and liabilities.
And he needed to see these of several years, since his parent's times.
And he needed to get all these, without letting anyone in the management of his company know, that he was getting these.

He picked up his phone.

(Sleepy and grumpy voice at the other end) Raat ke 3 baj rahe hai. Dimaag kharab hai kya. Kaun hai be?

Tera baap.

Oh...Sir..hello..Sir aap?
Kya baat hai sir. Kuch problem to nai haina?

Raj (tiredly).
Sun, I am sry, but can you please come to the game room, abhi?

Raj was never this way, formally polite, while talking to him.
Lt. Bunty Chaubey immediately realised there was something extremely wrong.

(Both are whispering )
Chaubey : Matlab you want me bribe one of the junior executives in your own company, to get you these documents, but you want me to say that I am from  Verma Paper Mills, your biggest conpetitor?
Aur documents ke liye, ye rishwat ki amount kuch zyada hi nai hai?Sir, dont mind me, par (he said this very politely and humbly, with a straight face) aap pagal to nai ho gaye ho na?

He earned a smack on his arm for this.
Raj : Jaisa kaha hai waisa kar.
Aur sun. Wakt nai hai. Mujhe kal raat tak chahiye.

They returned to their rooms.
Raj finally climbed into bed. But sleep evaded him.
He closed his eyes, thinking, what would his life have been like, if he wasn't here. If he had stayed back. Went into business.
Perhaps he would have been married.
He tried to imagine what kind of girl would his wife be.
And try as he might, he could only imagine one image.
Naina Singh Ahluwalia.
He tried to shake the thoughts off.
As always, he was unsuccessful. As always, whenever he was troubled, his imagination always made sure, Naina was with him. By his side.
Unable to shut his brain, he gave in, for once.
For once, he allowed the imaginary Naina to come near him. Take his head in her lap. Kiss his forehead.
Ruffle his hair.
He let the imaginary Naina to come up to him. To softly kiss his cheeks, before capturing his lips in hers.
He let her roam her hands over his shoulders. He let her snuggle upto him, resting her head in the creak of his shoulder, as own of his hands circled beneath her, holding her waist, the other holding her free hand, playing with her fingers. He let her kiss him goodnight, as a tear slipped out from his eye and marked his pillow, his heart wrenching at his impossible dream.

He let his imaginary Naina be, where she was, cuddled next to him, for once. For that was the only way he could sleep.

...

That night, he had the files in his hand. And as he read them, his heart sank at the realisation, that he was right.
At the realisation, of how there was such a massive discripancy, in the amount of sales and profit, since the time his parents died. Sure, it was all there on paper, sure, the losses were all explained, the bank statements perfect, the profit graphs still commendable, after everything.
But he knew, staright away, there was embezzlement of funds going on, somewhere. Massive.
He wasn't his parent's son for nothing.
He had learned business from someone who had made these companies from the scratch. And if its your own brain child, you would know if something was wrong with it, even if nobody else could.
His parents would know.
And so did he.

So he was right. How he wished he was wrong. His mind reeled, the room swimming in front of him.
He grabbed a chair for support, still tumbled, and finally sat down on the floor.

And finally unable to take it anymore, Rajveer Singh Shikhawat broke down and cried.
Cried till the room dissolved.
Cried till his head spun.
Cried till his eyes could take it no more.
Cried till his tears ran dry.

The man whom he had respected so much, was not only responsible for the death of his best friend, but also for massive embezzlement of funds from his companies.
He didn't mind this as much as one other fact.

Lala Ghelot was  probably to using this money, against his country.

And it was all Raj's mistake.
If only he had been more involved.
His parent's hard earned money wouldn't have gone to fund terrorism against his own country.