3: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Girl Mechanic by JellOfAllTrades

Chapter 3

"She's great, Ma!" Suzie said again for the hundredth time now. "She fixed the car within minutes!"

"I know, sweetie," Suzie's mom patiently said, "you told me that yesterday."

It's Saturday morning and her mother is baking cookies in the kitchen. Suzie sat on the table watching her put another cookie tin in the oven.

"I'm just grateful that she helped me." Suzie said. "I mean, she didn't even take the money I offered her."

"Instead, she asked for your beautiful name." Her mom completed fo her, taking the first batch of cookies out of the oven.

"Yeah! There aren't a lot of kind people like her around any more." Suzie mused, ignoring the beautiful name comment.

"Cookies!"

Suzie's little sister came dashing from her room upstairs to the kitchen.

"Not yet, Katie." Their mother said, transferring the freshly baked cookies into a container. "These are for after lunch."

"But mom!" Katie groaned, disappointed.

Suzie reached for her little sister and let her sit on her lap. "It's all right Katie." She hugged the little girl and nuzzled her cheek. Katie squirmed, laughing.

Their tickling was interrupted when the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it!" Katie announced, running off to escape Suzie's tickles.

"Wonder who it is?" Suzie said, looking at the direction of the living room where her sister disappeared.

"Ninang!" They heard Katie squeal from the other room.

Suzie stood up and followed after Katie where she found her squealing in delight as her godmother lifted her off her feet into the air before hugging her.

"Hello, Suzie." Sergeant Olivares greeted, putting Katie down.

"Hi," Suzie smiled at the soldier. She can't help but remember Levi from the sergeant's tall and lean stature. The way they tied their hair in a ponytail and their same piercing eyes, although Levi's are grey and the soldier's eyes are black in color.

"Skyler!" Her mom came in from the kitchen, wiping her hands on her apron. "How nice of you to visit."

"Hi Neri. I missed Katie here so I thought I'd stop by." Sgt. Olivares answered, ruffling little Katie's hair. "I've brought some fruits and chocolates." She took the paper bag by the doorstep and offered them to Suzie.

Suzie took the paper bag. "Thanks, I'll put these in the kitchen."

"Suzie, take the container on the counter and tell Levi thanks for me." Her mother stopped her.

"What?" Suzie blinked, confused.

"Go visit Levi and give her the cookies." Her mom smiled before turning to their visitor and started asking her about work.

Suzie went back to the kitchen and transferred the fruits into a bowl before putting the chocolates in the fridge. She caught sight of the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies on the counter and debated with herself if she'll go and see Levi or not.

Sure, she wanted to see those piercing grey eyes and toothy grin again, but looking at the clock, she figured that Levi might be one of those late morning people like Ronnie who'd prefer to sleep it out until lunch to reward herself from surviving another week in school.