Chapter 4: First Things First

Frigate Academy...

Ashley skimmed through the list, which was posted on the bulletin board near the school ground. She found out that, as usual, she was in the first section, just like when she first started in Frigate during her first year.

“Ashley!” a shrill voice called out.

Ashley turned around and saw her best friend, Nadine Halili, who was waving excitedly at her. Nadine ran to her bestie and hugged her tight.

“Oh, I so miss you, Girl,” Nadine squealed.

“I miss you too,” Ashley said. “I'm in the first section.”

“Really?” Nadine gaped excitedly.

She skimmed through the list and saw her name in the first section too. Both girls squealed because they will still be classmates until they graduate.

“Nadine! Ashley!” two voices piped up.

The two in question turned around to see two girls who looked alike. The twins daintily and craftily ran to them with literally their boots on.

“How's your vacation?” Linda Recentes, one of the twins, asked.

“More like 'staycation',” Nadine explained.

“We went to Pampanga two weeks ago!” Lorraine Recentes squealed.

“I envy you,” Nadine sighed unhappily.

“I saw JV last week—oops,” Ashley said.

That was a slip of the tongue. Her friends teased her with the guy from Scientific Research Institute whom Ashley had been crushing on since Valentine's Day.

“Oh, wait, wait,” Lorraine said. “Better check our section first.”

“The four of us are still classmates,” Nadine said.

Linda and Lorraine checked the list, and saw that Nadine was right. The twins squealed as they hugged their other two friends.

“Let's show the class that we are still number one!” Nadine said.

“And let's show the whole batch that our section is number one because of us!” Linda said.

The four of them walked to their classroom, Section 4A, and saw that the first two front rows were vacated. Their other classmates were seating at the middle section or at the back.

“Shall we raid the front row like what we do every year?” Nadine asked.

“Let's!” Ashley replied.

“Oops, have you not seen the list?” Lorraine asked, greatly worried and horrified. “Mdm. Rudas is gonna be our class adviser!”

“Oh no!” Nadine yelped. “Isn't she, like, the terror teacher in this school?”

“Oh no! What to do?” Ashley said. “I am terrified of her!”

“Let's take the second row instead,” Linda suggested.

The four of them raced to the front and placed their bags on the seats of the second row.

“Excuse me, Ladies,” a warm, gentle, and friendly male voice spoke up.

The students turned their attention to the door and saw a chinky-eyed, tall, lean-framed, fair-skinned, and spiky haired guy standing by the door. He was wearing a cream-colored button-down shirt with an executive collar, with the school badge sewn in place on the breast pocket. He wore black trousers to match his black shoes. He had a smile on his face, and his glasses looked good on him. He looked like a senior college student.