Chapter 11: Something Special

Another crazy idea entered Johnson’s head, and he was sure everybody was going to participate.

He suggested that since their team won, they should go to his family’s beach house in Danao City today to celebrate their victory. However, all of the K-guys declined, stating different alibis of their own. Jake declined too, stating that he was extremely tired. Justin also declined, stating that his mother wanted him home immediately after the competition. And Joel, too, declined, but he did not explain. Only Jonathan was open to the offer.

“That’s no fun,” Johnson complained to his cousin. Then, turning to the others, he offered again, “Yo guys, can we just… you know?”

“Sorry, Johnson,” Kyle said. “I really can’t go.”

“Nah… let them be,” Jonathan said to his cousin.

Johnson sighed. “Oh well, let’s have it next time.”

“Yeah, I’m really sorry, Johnson,” Justin told him.

Joel approached Miss Alcasid, who asked, “Yes?”

“Is it okay if I sojourn at your house just for the night?” was his query.

Miss Alcasid bid goodbye to the other students and left them to hang out at the mall. She beckoned Joel to go with her so that they could talk. And while waiting for taxi at the taxi stand, Miss Alcasid asked her student what the matter was about.

It turned out that Joel’s parents were always out of town or out of the country that he and Joseph were usually left alone with the household help. There were times when Joel would either go to Johnson’s house or stay at Jake’s. And he told her that Joseph was scheduled to go to Moalboal after the Math quiz bee to spend weekends with their paternal grandparents. He did not want to travel this day, and all he wanted was just to spend time with someone in the city premises.

“If it is all right… But if not, I’ll stay at home…”

“Oh, it’s fine, really,” the homeroom adviser told her student. “You can even stay for the weekend.”

Joel smirked a bit. He indeed had packed for the weekend, but all he had asked for was just one night. Of course, he was not someone who took advantage of his teacher. In fact, he was testing waters to see if Miss Alcasid had changed just as she had said.

“But let’s go to USC first because I will be meeting my classmate there,” she told Joel.

When they finally got in a taxi, Miss Alcasid requested the driver to go to the main campus of University of San Carlos. Because it was a Friday, traffic was building up, and Joel was starting to get hungry. He was not one spoiled brat because he often fended for himself, so he did not complain. Miss Alcasid, worried about him, gave him a chocolate bar to get by.

“I’m sorry for dragging you into this,” she told him. “This is all I have.”

“It’s fine,” Joel said. “It was my idea to come with you, after all.”

Miss Alcasid smiled and patted the young lad’s hair. Finally, the two reached their destination, and Miss Alcasid had the taxi driver wait. She got out and met a guy outside of the campus. The stranger was chinky-eyed, tall and lean, had mahogany colored-hair, and was fair-skinned. Joel saw that the guy greeted Miss Alcasid, cheek to cheek. The student noticed the way the two greeted each other, so he came up with the conclusion that the guy must be gay.

“Hi Bart!” Miss Alcasid greeted after the cheek-to-cheek session.

“Darling, here are the materials you need,” Bart said. “You need to return the materials to me.”