Chapter 19: Sem Break

Last Saturday of October.

In Ayala, an early Trick or Treat celebration was held for kids and the kids-of-heart in the activity center, and a cosplay event in the evening at the Terraces. It was almost six when the five guys arrived to watch the cosplay event. The Trick or Treat celebration had just ended, and there were a lot of kids crowding with their parents to the exits of the mall. Most of the kids were already shouting and crying in hunger.

“Oh man!” Jonathan mumbled as he tried to cover his ears.

“Let’s get out of here,” Johnson told his friends. “These kids around near the exit doors make my ears go boom.”

The shrill cries of the kids were getting out of control, and the parents were already scolding their kids to keep quiet and behave. Our five friends were able to escape the crowd of sweet kids who happened to be cranky this afternoon, but that did not mean that they did not have exploded eardrums.

“Hmmm… The cosplay will start at six, right?” Jake asked excitedly.

“Yeah,” Jonathan replied.

“Whatever,” Justin told his friends. He did not want to be an audience for some cosplay, but Jake and the cousins had decided to watch some cute girls wearing cute cosplay outfits.

“Yeah right,” Joel mumbled. He, too, was not into cosplay. He’d rather stay at home and watch shows on TV.

“Don’t be such killjoys, you two,” Jonathan told Justin and Joel. “Who knows? We can catch a glimpse of Miss Alcasid walking around the premises with her Japanese boyfriend.”

“Yehey, yehey!” Jake gamely remarked.

They passed by Sbarro when Jake noticed Hansen inside the pizza parlor. He told his friends about it, and they all looked inside.

“Isn’t it your cousin, Jon?” Jake asked Jonathan.

“Yep, it’s him, all right?” Jonathan replied.

“What is he doing with the Frigate girls?” Johnson asked, seeing Ashley.

The others, too, saw Ashley indeed, with Nadine, Lorraine, and Linda. Breaking old school rules, that’s for sure. They saw Ashley beside Hansen, and both of them were holding each other’s hands on the table for everyone to see.

“So, is Ashley, Hansen’s ‘My Girl?’?” Jake asked in disbelief.

“I never thought Hansen would get close to your lodger, huh, Justin,” Johnson commented to Justin.

“Me neither,” Justin lied because he knew the truth.

He did not like what Jake and Johnson said, and neither did he like what he felt deep inside. This must be the jealous feeling that Jasmine told him about.

“Ah, I never thought my bachelor-to-be cousin could get a girlfriend of his own,” Jonathan said before laughing.

“Shut up!” Justin said to Jonathan in his head.

“Yo guys,” Johnson announced. “Let’s all just go out now. The grounds will be crowded, and we might not get any good seats.”

****

Sunday afternoon.

Justin saw Ashley folding some clothes and putting them inside her bag. Because the door was opened, he leaned on the door frame and watched the female lodger getting busy. Ashley noticed the young man standing, so she stopped to look at him.

“Yes?” he asked.

“Will you go back to Bohol?” he asked her.

“Well, yes,” she told him. “I will be spending All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day there, and will be back on the fourth of November. Why?”