Chapter 14: Breaking Old School Rules

“See you tomorrow,” Miss Alcasid told her class before stepping out of the room.

It was a fine September Thursday afternoon, but the guys weren’t in the mood to practice because their parents would be coming over the next day to get their report cards.

“Let me guess,” Jake said. “There will be fireworks display and confetti parties for Section A.”

“Oh no!” Jonathan whined. “I am so sure they will have celebrations tomorrow.”

“Yo guys,” Johnson piped up. “Let’s not lose our hope, huh? Remember, our Filipino grades have improved, and Joel’s Chinese grades too, thanks to Justin.”

“Yeah right,” Joel mumbled hopelessly.

“Oh yeah, thanks Justin,” Jonathan told his buddy.

“Salamat, Bay,” the other four thanked Justin in Cebuano.

“You’re very much welcome, guys,” Justin squeaked.

“You’re gonna walk again to Ayala, Justin?” Johnson asked.

“Yeah. Dad will be coming home tonight, and Mom doesn’t know how to drive the car.”

“Yehey, cool! That will give us more reasons to hang out together and chill all we want!” Jake said.

“Hey, we’re not gonna hang out for long, okay?” Jonathan told his friends. “Like, I am still so anxious for tomorrow’s results.”

“Me too,” Joel said.

“Me three,” Jake replied.

“Guys, I told you to relax, okay?” Johnson reminded his friends. “Let’s just chill out a bit to get your jitters off your system.”

As they stepped out of the campus, they took off their button-down shirts to reveal only the t-shirt hidden underneath. As they were walking to Ayala, they passed by the gates of Frigate Academy and saw an Ignatian looking from outside, as if waiting for someone. They suddenly realized that the guy waiting outside was an upperclassman, a senior from Section 4-A.

“Hey, Hansen!” Jonathan called out.

The other guy looked at them and gave a nod at Jonathan. The underclassmen approached Hansen, who gave a hearty back slap at Jonathan.

“How are you doin’, Bro?” Hansen asked.

“Pretty good, and pretty nervous,” Jonathan replied while wiping the sweat off his brow.

“Reports cards?” Hansen asked. “Damn it!”

Jonathan introduced the guy and his friends to each other.

“This is my cousin, Hansen Bracamontes,” Jonathan started. “And Bro, here are my barkada, Jake, Joel, and Justin. And Johnson, my cousin and close friend as well.

Jonathan and Hansen are cousins on Jonathan’s father’s side, while he and Johnson are cousins on his mother’s side.

“Great to know you, guys,” Hansen greeted them as he exchanged high-fives with the other guys.

“By the way, what’s with all these eavesdropping here at Frigate?” Jonathan asked his cousin.

“Waiting for my girl,” came Hansen.

“You have a girlfriend?” Jonathan asked, obviously surprised.

“At Frigate?” Johnson asked, unable to believe what he had just heard.

“Seriously?” Jake asked, his voice raising a notch higher due to his developing voice.

Hansen smiled at the guys before asking, “Why? Is it wrong?”