Chapter 15: Of Grades And Songs

Ashley and Jasmine were talking via video call. The latter was asking how her younger brother was faring, and to her astonishment, Ashley told her that Justin had turned over a new leaf… kind of.

“R… really?” Jasmine asked, unable to believe her ears. “Did… did he really?”

“Yes, Ate,” Ashley told Jasmine. “He’s no longer rude to me, and he is affectionate too.”

Jasmine pouted, sadness lining over her pretty and fair face.

“I envy you a lot,” she remarked to Ashley. “You tamed my younger brother, something that I tried so hard to do. I tried so hard to bond with him despite my busy schedule back when I was still there, but I regret that I did not put much effort to get closer to him.”

And tears fell down Jasmine’s eyes. She grabbed a piece of paper napkin from a nearby box and daintily wiped a tear or two to prevent smudging her mascara. Ashley, in effect, had to comfort the person whom she already treated as her elder sister.

“I miss bonding with you too, Ashley,” Jasmine said. “I wish I can turn back time so I can bond with you and Justin.”

“I know,” Ashley replied wistfully.

“I talked to Daddy last night while he was in Manila,” Jasmine shared. “And I talk to Mommy often during Sundays. It’s just a pity I still cannot get to talk to Justin.”

“I am sure he will talk to you soon, Ate,” Ashley assured her.

Soon, their talks were about Jasmine’s work as a nurse in the United States, her life in a new land, her struggle and excitement in meeting diverse people, as well as her efforts to remain strong to fight homesickness. Ashley also shared about juggling school and band life, as well as sharing to Jasmine all about Hansen.

“Really?” Jasmine asked excitedly. “How about JV?”

“Nah, I have to forget him, Ate Jasmine,” Ashley sighed unhappily. “But I guess, Hansen’s a whole lot better than JV.”

“Girl, love is such a wonderful feeling, but don’t get serious with it, though,” Jasmine advised her. “You are still in high school, and you will meet a lot of boys in college.”

And Jasmine chuckled.

“But really, you should not be too serious about love, not when you are still a student,” Jasmine advised her.

“Yeah, I know,” Ashley replied.

She was hesitant to follow Jasmine’s advice, though. She liked Hansen a lot, or so she thought.

“Ashley, please let me know if Justin is ready to talk to me,” Jasmine said to her. “I really miss him.”

“Yes, I will,” Ashley replied.

From the other line, Jasmine heaved a sigh. She wished to see Justin again, though going home to hug him and be reconciled was not an option. Talking to her younger brother, if time permits, and when time comes, would suffice.

****

Ashley was strumming her guitar as she read the chords written on her notebook. Linda was supposed to compose a song for October, but she was busy with arranging their song list for the remaining Sundays of September. Ergo, it was Ashley penning the new song.

A knock was heard, and Ashley asked, “Who goes there?”

“Justin,” came the reply.

“Please come in,” she instructed the young lad before turning to her business.